HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

A few Questions from a PM newbie

#1 2005-08-18 13:46:09

trixyinaz

A few Questions from a PM newbie

I am making a piggy bank for my daughter and am wondering a few things.  I am using water and glue and strips of newspaper and paper towels.  I am alternating the layers --- 1st layer newspaper, 2nd layer paper towels, etc. 

1.  Do I need to let each layer dry before adding a new one or can I do 2 to 3 layers at a time, let them dry and then add another 2 to 3 layers and repeat?  I am currently doing one layer at a time and letting it dry 24 hours before applying the next layer (I've read different things)

2.  Is there a special knife or tool I need to use to cut the coin slot and opening on the bottom?

3.  Will a cork work to seal the opening on the bottom or is there something better to use?

Thanks for your help!
Vicki

#2 2005-08-18 22:13:38

ChristianNinja
Website

Re: A few Questions from a PM newbie

Howdy

Two to three layers at a time would work fine.  Just dont go over that or you run into problems/ loooooong waiting times.

As for the cork thing...if you do that, you'd need to make sure the bottom is very sturdy.  Because if not, then while pushing the cork in you may inadvertantly injure your piggy bank.  And you want the pig guarding your daughter's change to be strong and healthy!

Nothing comes to mind at the moment as a replacement for a cork.

It would work if you get it nice and strong.

The Christian Ninja

#3 2005-08-19 05:28:24

Paper Rose

Hi Trixy!

I agree with Ninja on the 2 or 3 layers at a time.  I make pinatas and I use a box cutter or utitity knife to cut holes with.  Works great!  As for the plug, you could just not put one in. (Like the glass piggy banks)They can't get the money out until it is full, then they break it open to see the bounty they've collected.  (I know how hard it is to see your creation smashed. My heart pings a bit when my pinatas are broken  :cry: ) Or you could just make the hole big enough to shake the money out.  wink

Paper Rose  smile

#4 2005-08-19 11:34:26

dopapier

Isn't it nice, making things for others, especially children!
I don't really see the point of interleaving with kitchen tissue.  Brown paper from envelopes or wrapping paper is very strong and builds up the layers quickly.
Cork?  You could do, providing you still have access to the inside (or for another time).  Cut a hole a little bigger than the cork.  Insert the cork (covered in clingfilm) not quite as deeply as you eventually want it.  Surround the sides on the inside with a strong pulp.   When firm, remove the cork to enable final drying.
I agree with Paper Rose about breaking it open but you could make this less painful by opening a rectangle at the base, cutting a cardboard rectangle a bit bigger than the opening and pasting it over the top.  When it comes to accessing the money, you just have to saw through the edge join of the cover.  I can always be pasted back again afterwards for a new collection.  Hurray. wink

I'm a PM addict

#5 2005-08-19 13:46:33

trixyinaz

You guys are terrific.  You got me thinking (not sure if that is a good thing or not)  lol

Dopapier - I love making things for other people, especially children!  I think I am going to make piggy banks for all my neices and nephews for christmas this year.  I need to get a move on  big_smile .

I read from someone on here that they really like working with paper towels so I thought I would give it a try.  I really like how it molds perfectly to things, but it does take a lot longer to dry and doesn't seem to be as strong as newspaper or kraft paper.  I'm not a very patient person and seek immediate gratification  wink (hence, my question about one layer at a time or more).  I think I am going to continue with  just the newspaper for the remaining layers on the piggy bank and maybe finish it off with a thin layer of paper pulp.

I like your idea about the rectangle cover.  That might just work!

Paper Rose - hi again!  I have a utility knife... big_smile   I was afraid I was going to have to buy a special tool. 

As for the no opening, I thought about that too.  Instead of smashing it, I could always cut an opening at the bottom when the time comes to get the money out and then cover the opening as suggested by Dopapier.  Is it impossible to cut through paper mache years later?

Ninja - Oh, I do not want to injur my little guy.  He is just too cute.  The bottom seems to be the sturdiest part so far [shr].  I'm not sure why b/c it has the same number of layers as every where else.  I thought maybe putting the cork (or opening) under the tail.  Next piggy bank I think I am going to make the snout the opening.  Kinda flaired out with an indentation and the cork can sit in there. 

Thanks again for all your responses and ideas!  Oh BTW, generally speaking, how long does it take for a PM piece to completely dry.  I'm on my third layer on the pig and it still seems "soft" after letting it dry almost 36 hours.  I want to start my next layers, but am thinking I need to wait until it is really hard.  I live in Michigan and it has been humid the past few days and today is supposed to be worse.  I have the pig sitting on my kitchen counter with the fan blowing on it.  I really want my pig to be strong and healthy (as Ninja stated) so do you think 7 layers will be enough?  I'm afraid that if I start layers 4 and 5 while it is still partially soft, it will just make the under layers even softer and that much longer to completely dry.  Am I over analyizing this?  I have read about people "baking" their PM to get it dry.  Are there any concerns with that method?

#6 2005-08-19 17:35:04

dopapier

yikes
Drying?  No, it shouldn't take too long.  Perhaps you are making your paper too wet.  Aim for a paste which is about 75% wallpaper paste (I think USA is methylated cellulose) and 25% PVA (white glue).  Make the first fairly thick, about the consistency of thick double cream, so that the final mix is about double cream.  Only use a smear on your paper so that it is sticky, not slippery or wet.
You can use a hair dryer, or . . . yes . . . put in an oven on low heat, preferably with fan air. 
Just think - a glut of piggy banks.  A piggy bank mountain.  Piggy banks take over the world.  An apocalypse of piggy banks.
A cork up its backside?  Oh deear!   :oops:

I'm a PM addict

#7 2005-08-19 18:31:28

trixyinaz

lol  Thanks for the laugh!  You cracked me up (cork up the butt)  lol

I'm not using wallpaper paste...just glue and water.  I bet that is my problem.  I will head off to our Home Depot and pick up some wallpaper paste.

I wish I didn't have to work this afternoon (or ever).  I'm having so much fun with my paper mache!

#8 2005-08-20 19:53:36

trixyinaz

David,

Thanks so much.  The paste was my problem.  I went and bought the wallpaper paste last night and used it today.  What a world of difference!!!  I mixed is 75% wallpaper paste and 25% white glue as suggested and it worked GREAT.  It is soo much easier to work with than just white glue and water.  I am so glad I found you guys!  big_smile

Vicki

#9 2005-08-21 18:45:42

Mischief
Website

Hi. Probably a little late in the day now, but I made a piggy bank for my sisters little boy years ago and made the nose detachable so the money could be accessed. The nose acts a little like a plug that can be pulled out and pushed back in when required.
He still keeps it in his room and it has stood the taste of time well, although I noticed last visit piggy now has flames licking up his legs and has also gained a black waist coat. It pleased me to now it is growing with him.

~~*~~*~~
(AKA) Jilly T.

#10 2005-08-22 11:47:31

dopapier

Mischief:   Has it got hairs on its chest as well?? tongue  tongue

I'm a PM addict

#11 2005-08-22 12:30:48

Mischief
Website

Not that I noticed, but he does appear to have some shades though!  wink