HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Newbie Here...

#1 2005-08-15 19:00:10

trixyinaz

Newbie Here...

All I have to say is the art I have seen thus far is amazing.  I am by no means an artist, but would love to be.  You all are so creative.  I'm almost afraid to try my hand at it. 

I am just starting out making paper mache.  I swear it is addicting!  Does anyone have any book recommendations for the beginner?

Also, how do you get your objects so round and smooth - arms, legs, faces, etc.  After your lay down your strips of paper, do you finish it off with a paper paste? 

My first paper mache was a baby face - seriously, a 3 year old could have done better  smile .  I wanted the face flat (but still 3D) as it was going on the lid of a hat box so I cut a circle out of some cardboard and placed stips of paper on it.  Even though I wrapped the paper all around, you can totally see the shape of the cardboard (not a rounded edge like I had hoped). 

Also, how do you build up a nose and make lips?  I really need a good book so any suggestions are helpful.  Thanks!

Trixy

#2 2005-08-15 21:55:05

Paper Rose

Re: Newbie Here...

Welcome Trixy!

I'm rather new too, but I found the tutorials in this site to be very helpful in answering most of my questions.  Looking over old forum questions is another good source. 

I use cardboard or scrunched newspaper attached with masking tape to make my details, then cover with strip mache.  To make a smooth surface, I first make sure I smooth out air bubbles and wrinkles as much as possible when I apply the strips.  Then, when it is dry, you can use sandpaper to even out the ridges if needed.  A few coats of varnish or polyurethane after you've painted, will help protect your creation and help even more with the smooth surface. 

Also, I've just started experimenting with it myself, you could make your details using pulp mache. There are several recipes in the tutorials and in the forum.  Some for a porcelain finish.

Hope I've been of some help.  Sometimes it takes a while to get replies in the forum, but the advice and encouragement I've gotten from other experienced artists has helped me greatly.

Paper Rose  smile

#3 2005-08-15 22:20:36

Jackie
Website

Hello Trixy,

Never be afraid to have a go - noone is standing over you watching you. Once you get used to working with papier mache you will be surprised what you can do.

Jackie

#4 2005-08-16 03:53:02

trixyinaz

Thank you both!  I did find the tutorial section and have been paper mache'ing all night.  I'm totally out of control.   lol

I'm trying my hand at making a box.  I'm experimenting so I took a box top and covered it with waxy coated type butcher paper.  I laid down strips of paper and am hoping when I am done with about 7 layers, I'll be able to pop it off the waxy paper and have a box top.  Has anyone made a box like this?  Like I said, I am totally new to this and will try just about anything with the supplies I have on hand.  More importantly, I am having a ball.

I am so glad I found this website.  There is so much good information!  If I ever get good, maybe I'll take some pics and share with you all.  I'm a bit embarrassed with what I've done after seeing all your pieces of art.  Thanks again!

Trixy

Board footer