HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Baking Papier-Mache

#1 2005-04-08 16:07:41

butterbee

Baking Papier-Mache

I am having a hard time finding information about baking papier-mache. I see in the birdhouse tutorial on the site it was mentioned to bake it with linseed oil.

My question is does baking things truly make a difference in how strong the papier-mache is? Does the piece need to be covered with linseed oil to get the benefits of baking or can it be done without? How long does a piece have to bake for?

I am so happy I found this site, and these forums. There is nothing quite like it on the entire internet. I look forward to meeting and learning from all of you.

#2 2005-04-21 02:11:55

Rachel

Re: Baking Papier-Mache

Hello,
Baking papier mache can be helpful. I do it all the time, mostly because I live in a humid area and I want it to dry fast before mold starts to grow. Bake at a VERY low temperature (like 150 degrees), make sure to flip over the piece at some point also, because steam will accumulate on the underside. Be aware that if you place a very soft piece directly on an oven rack, the lines of the rack may imprint onto your sculpture. As far as how long to bake it, well, you just have to look at it to see if it's dry! If you overcook it, it will turn brown and brittle.
I do believe that baking does help the whole piece cohere better and therefore stronger. I never bake with linseed oil on it, I always just bake it as is and add other paints, oils, sealers, etc after. I cook food in my oven too so i don't want any nasty stuff to accumulate in there.

Board footer