HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Newbie seeking advice for retaining shapes

Newbie seeking advice for retaining shapes

#1 2005-04-07 13:33:41

rainbowstar

Newbie seeking advice for retaining shapes

Hi there, I am pretty new to papier mache and so far have only tried making bowls.  Once I have put a few layers on the inside of a bowl mould, I put the bowl aside to dry but every time it seems to shrink away from the bowl and turns out an odd shape.  I use a PVA/water mixture and torn newspaper.

Is this because I am using the inside of the bowl instead of the outside?  Or because I am drying the pieces in my airing cupboard which is very warm?  I have read lots of book s on papier mache but haven't come across any mention of this problem or how to rectify it.

Any advice or comments gratefully received, thank you!

#2 2005-04-07 15:35:42

Glawen

Re: Newbie seeking advice for retaining shapes

hi rainbow...I make bowls and usually they turn out a little out of shape,which i think is a good thing...if you want a more perfect shape why not try adding more layers to the bowl,that might help.
I usually layer the paper to the outside of the bowl and allow to try outside in the sun....I have thought about tying some string to the outside rim of the bowl once I have taken it of the mould...that might help with shape....Perhaps drying times are a factor??The longer left to dry on the mould might produce a better shape...not sure if this is much help for you.The best thing is to experiment until you come up with a solution.
good luck...Glawen

#3 2005-04-08 10:08:56

Bilja

You could try using a baloon as a mould rather than a bowl. I find it easier to work with and it gives the bowl a nice even shape. The only inconvenience is that you need to construct a base. Actually, it's not really an inconvenience, it's quite fun and gives you countless possibilities.

Good luck and happy creating.

Bilja

#4 2005-04-08 17:15:24

dopapier

My guess is that you're making the whole thing too wet, so there is excessive shrinkage as it dries.  Try only a thin smear of glue applied by hand or brush on dry paper.
David

I'm a PM addict

#5 2005-04-09 13:13:56

Mischief
Website

Try a pulp mix over the bowl, and build up the layers allowing each one to dry completely first. You may still get some shrinkage but the shape will hold. Using pulp will also give you an interesting texture to work with or you can make some fine smooth pulp to give it a smoother look at the end.
Hope this helps.  big_smile

~~*~~*~~
(AKA) Jilly T.

#6 2005-04-12 18:18:48

Melf
Website

and you can carve/sand it down if it's pulp : )

" If the person is willing to learn what do i have to lose by teaching him? "

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Newbie seeking advice for retaining shapes

Board footer