HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Paper-Mache Tiles

#1 2005-04-01 00:02:30

kymmer

Paper-Mache Tiles

I just watched a TV show where the lady made paper-mache tiles and did countertops out of them.  Has anyone heard of it being done and would it work.  It looked great.

Kim

Kimberly A Trilling

#2 2005-04-01 03:45:43

AngelMom238

Re: Paper-Mache Tiles

Hi,
I was wondering what show you watched. I was on line tonight looking for recipes for exactly this thing when I came across this forum. I wasn't even sure if it was possible, but I was thinking I could make homemade paper that looks like granite or stone and then make it strong enough to be a tile. I'd love to see if I could catch the show somehow. I appreciate the help. Thanks
Bev

#3 2005-04-01 08:31:00

Melf
Website

Hmm never heard of it.. but it is possible with the proper amount of sawdust in the mix i suppose big_smile

" If the person is willing to learn what do i have to lose by teaching him? "

#4 2005-04-01 14:24:53

kymmer

I saw it on a show called craft.  Does anyone know where I can get a lot of sawdust from.

Kimberly A Trilling

#5 2005-04-01 17:41:12

AngelMom238

Thanks. I've never heard of the show but I have heard that Home improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot will give it to you for the asking.
Bev

#6 2005-04-02 14:22:16

dopapier

Sawdust?  Joiners, woodworkers, woodturners usually have loads of sawdust.   Just check that it doesn't include MDF.
Does Melf think that various types of building plaster would also do?

I'm a PM addict

#7 2005-04-03 14:26:40

Rachel

this is not technically papier mache, but i'm going to tell you anyway.....
papercrete is probably the best way to make tiles. papercrete is like the "industrial papier mache" it's basically mostly shredded paper mixed with concrete instead of flour. It is being used experimentally in places like new mexico for building, making patio tiles, polished and used for counter tops, etc. It dries very light and very strong, but it does absorb water, so it must be sealed very well.
I think the main problem with making papier mache tiles with the traditional paper and flour and water, or even strong cardboard is it's propensity to warp. in a sculpture a little warping can go unnoticed, but on a counter? That wouldn't be fun.

#8 2005-04-04 01:29:08

kymmer

Is this regular concrete.  Do you know where I can get an exact recipe for this.  I have never dealt with this before.

Kimberly A Trilling

#9 2005-04-04 17:48:22

dopapier

I think Rachel's post was really helpful.  I wonder if she means cement.  Cement is the grey powder which, when mixed with aggregate (sand/shingle/ballast) and water will form mortars or concrete.   Certainly it is very hard.
I'm trying some experiments with different materials (building plasters, cement etc. to make tiles.  If it works I'll report back.
David :twisted:

I'm a PM addict

#10 2005-04-04 23:00:18

Melf
Website

the down side with papercrete is that like rachel said the paper inside absorbs water and the big plus of concrete is that it grows stronger with humidity in the drying process..hehehe if your a bit confused about what i said it's because when you mold or build stuff with concrete you have to wet the piece for drying..the more humid the piece is while drying ( takes about 2 month's to gain all it's strength ) the harder it gets..when i build concrete stuff i usually wet down the piece with a brush and water and than cover it with plastic sheet and water it down every 2 to 3 days ).

the down side with papercrete is that the paper dries alot faster than the concrete and if you water down the paper after it has dryed it expands ..thus "chipping" the concrete piece.

A good solution to seal it straight from mixing is pouring latex paint in the mix instead of water. i usually use this recipe to make fake facade's for castle scene's and such smile

Oh and dopapier if you plan on using bulding plaster dont sand it down to a smooth finish if you want to seal it afterwards with an agent otherwise the sealant wont stick properly.

" If the person is willing to learn what do i have to lose by teaching him? "

#11 2005-04-25 13:21:23

dopapier

Thanks Melf for the tip about plaster.
All this talk about waterproofing doesn't really recommend the paper based tiles for a worksurface unless you're prepared to protect it well.  However, for wall or trays or suchlike it can be interesting.  Best not to make them too large.  10cm (3.5") is quite a good size and fairly standard.  I haven't found that this size warps very much at all.  If you line the mould with plastic, it can be lifted out so the mould can be re-used fairly quickly.
Melf's idea about mixing in latex (in UK vinyl) paint is good because you have built in colour.
It might be an idea to laminate - build it in layers, with colour in the top layer and other fillers (cement, plaster etc) in the base - a bit like the way vinyl flooring is constructed.
David

I'm a PM addict

#12 2005-04-27 02:54:11

Rachel

yes of course I meant CEMENT not concrete, I just said that to drive the builders crazy! To be frank, i simply do not think papier mache is a great material for a counter tile. 
I think that for every artistic idea, there is a medium that can best express the idea, and papier mache countertops just don't fit together. Then again, I also certainly do support experimentation. So good luck!

Board footer