HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Having trouble painting over newspaper

Having trouble painting over newspaper

#1 2017-07-17 07:56:13

annievdm

Having trouble painting over newspaper

Hi all,

My class (30 projects) are painting over their paper mache using acrylic paint and it just is not covering the newspaper.
I have since read that you're supposed to do white paper as your last layer so it's easier to paint however it's too late to restart. They've done about 3 layers of paint and it is still quite visible especially with white, yellow and red.

Any ideas? I thought maybe sealing it using some kind of gloss and then painting again might go over it?
Otherwise would spray painting them work?

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Last edited by annievdm (2017-07-17 07:57:20)

#2 2017-07-17 09:36:58

dopapier

Re: Having trouble painting over newspaper

Hello Annie
Hopefully you will get several replies, but here is my pennyworth.
If you are spending some time applying acrylic paint, it may be quicker and easier to give it a layer of white paper - just as easy as a coat of white paint. It certainly wouldn't be starting again, just adding one more layer.  You would probably need to use more PVA than other paste in order to adhere over the paint. 
An alternative would be to apply a coat of a good primer, perhaps adding an undercoat to give really solid cover.
Good luck.

I'm a PM addict

#3 2017-07-17 17:21:20

CatPerson

I agree with David: a layer of white paper (using acrylic adhesive), or a decent acrylic primer. Don't use an oil-based primer, or the acrylic paints won't stick to it very well.

I don't know where you are, but here in the U.S., there are some really cheap acrylic paints that give poor coverage, even with multiple layers.

Sue

#4 2017-07-17 22:33:11

Patraw
Website

I agree that the problem might be your paint (too thin perhaps).  After three layers, the paint should be obscuring the underlying newspaper text/images pretty well, if not completely.  White and yellow do tend to be the most problematic colors for showing through.

It is indeed best to do the outer layer in bare newsprint, or prime it in white or light gray, if possible, before applying lighter colored paints, but, as you indicated, it's kind of too late for that now (although you could go over your existing painted surface with one more layer of bare paper and try painting them all over again.)  It might be a tedious business, but if the quantity of paint used isn't a concern, you could just keep adding more layers, eventually your students will succeed.

Another thing you could try is getting a bunch of color magazines/newspapers and decoupaging the surfaces in the colors you want instead of painting them (i.e., gluing on yellow colored paper to the areas you want to be yellow, and so forth.)

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Having trouble painting over newspaper

Board footer