HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Hello - Balloon artist here - newbie - need basic info

Hello - Balloon artist here - newbie - need basic info

#1 2005-03-14 22:06:25

Whirlwind
Website

Hello - Balloon artist here - newbie - need basic info

Hello there -
I am a balloon artist here in Connecticut, USA.  I have recently become "addicted" to the use of paper mache when building props for decorating events, I have also used the medium to make my daughter a book costume.  When I built these - first I built the frame out of balloons and then paper mached (sp) over the top.  They came out fantastic.  I have had little experience with this medium but I cant stop thinking of other possabilities for its use.  I have so much to learn -  where is the best place to start - should I just start reading information on the forum - should I get a book, I have a pile of sketches I want to try - but I feel like I need to learn more about the proper mix, tools of the trade, etc.
Any help would be appreciated
In the meantime - I have alot of back reading to do.
-Elaine

#2 2005-03-15 15:17:11

dopapier

Re: Hello - Balloon artist here - newbie - need basic info

The best place to start is right here.  Look at the tutorials;  there is a wide range of advice.
After that, find what books there are in your local library circuit  . . but the tutorials are better than many books you will find. smile

I'm a PM addict

#3 2005-03-19 21:50:47

Rachel

come on...reading and studying about papier mache is like reading a book about how to roller skate! Just throw caution to the winds and dig in your hands and get messy and DO it!
It's ok if you make mistakes, even if you have to throw your first tries away. I've been doing it for years and I still make some duds.

#4 2005-03-23 23:29:06

sandollar

big_smile  Hi, I just found your site, as I've been puttering around making bowls, and wanted to find out more information. Your site is wonderful. And I love seeing all the things others have made.
I'm going to do like you said, and dig in and get messy. This is so much fun, don't know why I never tried it before.
I'm making something, and used a balloon as a model, when I coated the balloon I set it on the heat vent, (ok don't laugh) the heat shriveled up the balloon and I had the strangest looking thing. But be of good cheer because I was able to save it. Just changed direction.
I'm looking forward to lots of good tips and interesting projects.
Thanks for being here.................Sandollar

#5 2005-03-29 06:12:15

Melf
Website

Hehehe got that right Rachel : )
the good thing about papier maché is that even if you mess up you can always break it down , mix it with water and glue and start over : )

" If the person is willing to learn what do i have to lose by teaching him? "

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Hello - Balloon artist here - newbie - need basic info

Board footer