HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Teapot bottoms

#1 2005-03-02 22:41:35

Cheshire Cat

Teapot bottoms

Hi there

I'm trying to make a huge teapot for my daughter's bedroom (to hang on ceiling). I wanted to base this on a balloon with the base and spout added on afterwards. The base is proving to be a bigger problem than I'd anticipated, in that I'm having trouble getting it to stay in the place i want it to be(it's a flat disc glued lightly at the centre) until I've covered it in paper. Any great ideas?

My next project is a pair of stiletto shoes in p.m. Does anyone have a great idea for a mould, or a thing to make an armature round that's footshaped?

Thanks evryone and anyone

Jacqueline big_smile  big_smile

#2 2005-03-03 01:12:44

Rachel

Re: Teapot bottoms

sometimes it's tricky to get bottoms to stay in place, but you just have to work quickly and use very sticky goo.
to be more specific, usually for my bottoms I cut out a piece of cardboard after outlining exact footprint of piece. then i turn the whole thing over and quickly fold sticky paper strips from bottom over edge of piece. this usually works quite well. if you cant keep the cardboard from slipping, hold it in place with a few pieces of masking tape and mache everywhere else, leaving these spots for last. good luck.

best thing for shoes is to make a pattern as you would for a dress. trace it on thin flexible cardboard (cereal boxes are good) then off you go.

#3 2005-03-03 12:04:08

Cheshire Cat

Hi Rachel

thanks for your post. I'll have a go over the weekend and let you know how it all goes.

Jacqueline tongue

#4 2005-03-05 21:33:29

Cheshire Cat

Found another way to do it, too. Where the base was glued in the centre, I supported it with small balls of goo as wedges between the centre and the balloon. It gave me enough extra @base@ to work round.

Jacqueline big_smile

#5 2005-03-07 14:10:33

dopapier

In case you do another, or for anyone else having a try, here is another method.
Draw a line around the balloon shape where you want the bottom to be.  Saw straight across the balloon to take off the small bottom section.
Turn it upside down.
Glue it to a piece of card that is cut slightly larger, giving a lip.
Insert it into the hole in the balloon shape with a good bead of glue around the edge.
When it is dry, build up the lip if you want more thickness.
Voilą
roll
David

I'm a PM addict

Board footer