HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

making beads?

#1 2005-01-22 21:58:46

dahilia

making beads?

Hi. I'm very new to papier-mache, and I wanted to try making some beads. Does anyone have any suggestions for books? Also, if anyone makes beads here....are molds used, and it it possible to seal them after painting or coloring them? Thanks for any information.

#2 2005-01-30 23:25:37

rozani
Website

Re: making beads?

Hi Dahilia!

Beads are fun and easy.  I make mine without molds.  Just take your left over papier mache torn strips and smush them around a skewer or pencil, depending on the size of the opening which you desire.  Press into a desired shape such as a ball o, oval, rectangle, cube, etc.  Wrap some additional torn strips over it and press into place going all around the bead.  I'm talking little strips here.  Several can be put on one skewer.  However, if you want big beads, use dowels to create  larger openings.

Allow to dry by sticking into a potted plant or styrofoam so that the air can circulate around the bead.  When completely dry, push it off of the skewer with a little bit of pressure.  It comes right off.  Next place it back on the skewer to paint.  Let dry the same way.  Voiala!  Instant bead.

If you want to experiment with pulp, it can be done the same way.  Just make sure that your adhesive is thick enough to hold it together during the drying process.

Give it a try.  Hope it helps. big_smile

Rozani

Board footer