HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Was trying to avoid this

#1 2004-10-28 14:03:46

Peri

Was trying to avoid this

I really didn't think I'd be posting again so soon. But without any acess to books in my town...you guys are my only hope smile  I'm going to make a PM hot air balloon (as some of you know) and I was wondering how to make it smooth. I've read so many posts and been to so many websites that my head is spinning. I bought some matte modge podge (read somewhere that that would be a nice finish) but now I can't remember if I can use that as the adhesive or if I add it on after the PM(and I can't find posts related to modge podge as an adhesive). If I'm going to use the PM it will be a flour/water mixture, and I'd like it smooth, so in that case I'd put on a layer of gesso (have not bought that yet) and possibly sand that down and then add another layer?
Would someone please tell me if I'm on the right track here. I really would like the balloon to have a smooth finish.
Many of you have probably answered this ? so many times...I'm sorry. Thanks once again for your help!!
Peri

#2 2004-10-29 16:37:23

Rachel

Re: Was trying to avoid this

the key to a smooth surface is always in the finishing..gesso, sand, gesso, sand.....if its got a lot of color the bumps will not be very noticeable.

#3 2004-11-05 16:18:13

Re: Was trying to avoid this

roll
Peri;  How big is this balloon?  You might be better simply using paper layering.  For something up to 45cm high, six to eight layers using wallpaper (cellulose) paste two thirds and PVA (whiteglue) one third would make a very strong layer.  This needs very little sanding.
(I'm on the system as dopapier but for some reason it won't register on the forum at the moment.)
David

Board footer