HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Gesso recipe?

#1 2004-07-13 16:38:25

Gesso recipe?

A couple of years back I made a paper mache gargoyle. I got a recipe for gesso from a paper mache book I borrowed from a local library. I mixed the recipe of glue, Plaster of Paris and water (there may have been another ingredient, but I'm not sure) and brushed it on the gargoyle. It smoothed the surface of the paper mache to the point that people cannot tell the gargoyle is made from paper mache. I have since started another paper mache project and went to the library to find this book, but they no longer carry it. It was an older book that I do not remember the name of. Does anybody have a gesso recipe that uses these ingredients?

Thanks,
Halloween Zombie

#2 2004-07-14 15:47:37

Re: Gesso recipe?

A couple of years back I made a paper mache gargoyle. I got a recipe for gesso from a paper mache book I borrowed from a local library. I mixed the recipe of glue, Plaster of Paris and water (there may have been another ingredient, but I'm not sure) and brushed it on the gargoyle. It smoothed the surface of the paper mache to the point that people cannot tell the gargoyle is made from paper mache. I have since started another paper mache project and went to the library to find this book, but they no longer carry it. It was an older book that I do not remember the name of. Does anybody have a gesso recipe that uses these ingredients?

Thanks,
Halloween Zombie

Just look for "gesso recipe" in internet, you'll find plenty. I did, but there are so many, that I'm not sure of what you need exactly. Good luck.

#3 2004-07-14 16:02:00

Re: Gesso recipe?

Thanks,
Halloween Zombie

Just look for "gesso recipe" in internet, you'll find plenty. I did, but there are so many, that I'm not sure of what you need exactly. Good luck.

I think I found what you need:  - 1 Tablespoon-slaked plaster (neutralized Plaster of Paris, chalk or calcium carbonate,
- 1 teaspoon-hide glue liquid (woodworking glue),
- coloring agent-bole, red or yellow ochre watercolor or gouache,
- 6-12 drops of warm honey. You'll find more information at 
     www.angelfire.com/pa/allthat2/gesso.html
I hope it helps, please let me know if it worked, cause I'll use it on the frame I'm doing. wink

Board footer