HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » HELP!!! paier mache pulp lookin bad after dry

HELP!!! paier mache pulp lookin bad after dry

#1 2004-06-17 12:10:41

prashanth

HELP!!! paier mache pulp lookin bad after dry

Hi guys. Im really sorry for puttin so many topics. Its just that I am a begginer and I have toooo many questions :oops: Alright so this is the problem: When I use papier mache pulp it turns out to be good,and the end result (before it dries) is great and smooth. BUT when it dries it becomes rough and if I have done a carving then you can not really see the pattern. For example I made this leaf design on papier mache pulp by pressing it and it looked very good and you could see the lateral veins but after it dried you couldn't see it so well. In I was not able to see the whole leaf. Please help me out here
P.S: are there going to be any new tutorials?

Guys please reply fast to this post. Thanks a lot.
                                       Prashanth Selvam

#2 2004-06-17 19:39:21

Jenn
Website

Re: HELP!!! paier mache pulp lookin bad after dry

what's your pulp recipe and what's the consistancy (is it relly moist or kind of dry)?

roughness can be corrected with sanding and some sort of varnish.

- Jenn Rodriguez

#3 2004-06-17 20:20:03

prashanth

The papier mache pulp I use is rather moist

Prashanth Selvam

#4 2004-06-18 09:32:28

Jenn
Website

i'm not sure, but it may have something to do with the drying time. a lot can happen in regards to shape and consistancy while drying, especially if it takes a long tme to dry and there's a lot of pulp to dry. i also don't know how you apply your pulp, but be sure to do it in layers , allowing different sections to dry completly before continuing. it will assure a complete dry sculpture with little wet to dry warping. i'm not sure what you mean by "carving" in that either you carve away the dry mache or you make patterns in the wet pulp. if it is the latter, you may want to wait until after the pulp is dry, or nearly dry before making patterns in the pulp. since your pulp is fairly moist and mushy,  etched in patterns probably wont remain consistant through the drying time.

good luck.

- Jenn Rodriguez

#5 2004-06-18 10:59:33

prashanth

I have a question :oops:
Why do we have to apply the papier mache pulp in layers I mean how does it help

Prashanth Selvam

#6 2004-06-18 18:12:12

Jenn
Website

if you apply too much to fast, the drying gets weird. the inner layers will dry much slower or not at all, which could mess with the integrity of your sculpture.

- Jenn Rodriguez

#7 2004-07-11 15:54:46

rozani
Website

Hello Prashanth.

Welcome.  You will learn by trial and error that there are many applications and techniques.  However; I will suggest a stain (dark color) to be rubbed over the leaf in order to bring out the pattern.  Staining will allow the colors to seep into the cracks and provide a contrast. 

Carving on paper mache may not yield good results, as it is not meant to be carved.  However, it can be sculpted by sanding.  It is a medium unto itself.  Though it dries as hard as a rock, it is still paper.  If sawed or chipped, it will crumble.  Let it be your starting point.  It can provide a good structure for you to add a smooth finish or ornamentation.  If you want to cut into it or make an impression, perhaps you can coat it with a product that allows you to do that.

Hope this helps. big_smile

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » HELP!!! paier mache pulp lookin bad after dry

Board footer