HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » strengthening your paper structure with rags

strengthening your paper structure with rags

#1 2004-04-28 14:43:26

dave riley
Website

strengthening your paper structure with rags

i've been researching papers and noted the difference in paper manufacture in the 19th century when linen and cotton rags were displaced by wood pulp. So now, I'm experimenting with cheap papers --rather than kraft -- like newsprint reinforced by torn cotton rags. I've never been much of a wire mesh guy anyway and have tended to make what I did in paper with felt anyway.  the torn rags will give your mache some "body". great use of an old pair of throwaways...

dave riley

maskmaking, community art projects, puppetry and theatre...working out of Artrageous Community Arts Centre , Brisbane,Australia
http://www.artrageousarts.com.

#2 2004-06-06 14:08:48

Refka

Re: strengthening your paper structure with rags

How do you form the inner support if you don't use wire of any kind.  I mean how do you get started?  I am preparing to do a large bird, 2-3 feet tall, and I'm trying to figure out how to get the shape I want.  It will be upright, sort of like an eagle.  I assumed I'd have to start with some stiff sort of material like wire.  Got any suggestions?

#3 2004-06-15 19:42:12

Karen
Website

Re: strengthening your paper structure with rags

Dave, have often thought of the same thing but never experimented. Will attempt to use lint from clothes dryer. Suspect it will provide the same kind of strength. Will let all know the results.

karen
www.farroutart.com

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » strengthening your paper structure with rags

Board footer