HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Elegant Venetian Mask

#1 2004-04-06 01:05:40

Ceren
Website

Elegant Venetian Mask

Hi,
I am currently working on a project to make a Venetian Mask.For those who want to see a sample,it will be something like this:

http://www2.arnes.si/~ssdjjude/slika3.htm

But I could not figure out what to use as a mold,I just can't shape papier mache as smooth as you see in that picture by hand :? .
So I have to find a way to make a human face mold,or something like that.It is a very classic but an elegant project I think,so please help me find a way to start,and don't forget to check the sample made from porcelain.

Thank you big_smile

Sky is the Limit!

#2 2004-04-13 07:55:43

dave riley
Website

Re: Elegant Venetian Mask

buy a neutral mask in a party or theatre shop. tape it to either a  paper bag filled with scrunched up newspaper or simply scrunched up newspaper wrapped together with masking tape. coat the mask with petroleum jelly and lay some cling wrap on that. coat the cling wrap on the outside with jelly and build your mask using the facial markers below.
however when it comes to extensions left, right or up  you need to use clay -- cheap terracotta will do -- to make the shape of these. do taht in the first instance and cover the netral amask and the wet caly with cling wrap before proceeding as above. to support the features that are long simply build up withj styrofaom (imbeede in the clay) or cardboard pieces.

another way would be to start with the neutral mask and make your design on it with masking tape. and using the same tape to create the extensions in the air. coat the mask with mache to set it in shape. let dry, sand and paint. if using a plastic mask -- change the hat eleastic connections and put a layer of masking tape or mache on the inside of the mask to stiffen and strengthen  it. you'll need stiff amsk to carry the frills your example wears.use embossing paint to create the eywe fillagrees etc.

dave riley

maskmaking, community art projects, puppetry and theatre...working out of Artrageous Community Arts Centre , Brisbane,Australia
http://www.artrageousarts.com.

Board footer