HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

#26 2006-08-15 17:43:06

Jackie
Website

Re: Furniture

You haven't missed it.....I guess Melf has just been too busy.

I think maybe I'll drop him a line.  :idea:

Jackie

#27 2006-08-15 19:14:32

Heather Chamberlin

Hi, This is Heather in Seattle.  I have made a wall shelf. It measures 33" x 9".  I have also made a nightstand.  I think any furniture is possible.  I am working my way up to a bookcase.  Just start small and work your way up.  I have learned something from every piece I make.  With the night stand I have glued together three thicknesses of cardboard together, covered it with saran wrap or wax paper and then let it dry with weights on top, like stacks of books or whatever.(I make the individual squares, like a real piece of furniture and then tape it all together)  I think the key is to have thickness and dry flat to avoid warping.  I only put a couple layers of paper and glue because by the time I have taped the pieces together in the begining and then the coat of gesso paint.  It is incredibly strong.  Maybe with larger pieces you would want to add more layers but my nightstand is quite the tank.  I will send photos.  I have to go to work!
I have figured out that if possible I can try and recreate anything.  So even though I can't afford an Art Nouveau wall shelf I can make it myself!  Since Papier Mache tends to warp, it is the perfect material to make Art Nouveau styled items!  Anyhow, hope this helps.  Photos on the way.  From, Heather

#28 2006-08-15 20:19:24

Melf
Website

My god..has it really been one year..arg
Sorry about that..life and work caught up with me to fast i guess..ive been working my b... off for the last few month's so i totaly spaced out on it.

like i said to jackie i WILL finish my tutorial the moment i have some spare time * fingers crossed * but at least till then i can tell you the basics

the base of every furniture in paper mache works by honeycombing cardboard.

most cardboard boxe's ( example a case of beer ) has a VVVVVVV design between the top and bottom layer this is simple weave cardboard..to build furniture you need dual,triple or even 4 layer card board..( packaging boxe's for refrigerator's and oven's is the best type to use ) DONT use waxed cardboard for the simple reason that the papermache wont stick to it unless you sand it down..and it's b&%*% to sand believe me..here's a picture of the type i use

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7629/layerjk2.jpg

once youve found this type of cardboard you must use it so the v's are on top for base structure ( in other words your cardboard must be in the direction of it's strengh ) otherwise the cardboard will fold on itself once there's preasure on it...BUT you can put it side ways for coverup..just has long has you at least 2 sides and square pillars of cardboard inside doing the holding up for the piece the rest should be fine

here's an example
http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/57/denise04uh2.jpg

you must cross your cardboard so the structure is honeycombed
(simple layer example )
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6135 … ombor6.jpg
the more cardboard crossing you have the stronger the piece will be..you can cover your piece with simple paper layering at the end but using paper paste will ensure that it's more liquid resistant and stable.
(close up of ready for pulp piece)
http://img321.imageshack.us/img321/6061/dressingfu3.jpg

" If the person is willing to learn what do i have to lose by teaching him? "

#29 2006-08-15 21:27:30

pom

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I'm not sure I understand everything you're saying but the pictures are very helpful. I'll try to work from this. I'll post some pics if it all works out. Or if it collapses, I'll write a disaster story smile

#30 2006-12-27 00:42:29

butterbee

I am still wondering about this tutorial. Is it ever going to happen? Did I miss it?  :?

#31 2006-12-27 03:00:56

CatPerson

I think Pom's reference is to Melf's post just above.  For now, that's all we've got:  read the text above, then click on the link for a photo.

I'm sure he will post when he has time.  That's the problem with real life:  the everyday stuff keeps getting in the way of our plans!  :?

Sue

Board footer