HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Furniture

#1 2001-10-23 17:40:12

Furniture

Can anyone tell me where I might find info on making furniture from papier mache, also about the baking processes which make it "hard as wood".
Thanks in advance for any info.  PS Really terrific site.

#2 2002-01-17 01:09:41

Re: Furniture

Sue i came to this site to get the answer that you are looking for
also.  at this point i have my city libriy researching the topic for me
as i get info, i will email you the names of the books they send to
me. if it is not to much trouble when you get some info would you
email me and share your info.

thank you, iteara

#3 2002-01-30 18:46:33

I too am interested in this topic and would appreciate hearing about whatever resources you might dig up.  I'll share whatever I find as well. Thanks!

#4 2002-08-07 21:20:29

HI,

I found this email and wanted to contact you to find out what is happening with your search for furniture and paper mache.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Sue

#5 2002-08-09 11:25:27

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herrn !

Ich suche für mein Produkt ( Bauklotz ) Prototypen aus Papier-
mache. Es besteht ein fertiges Holzmuster, daß ich Ihnen gerne
zur Verfügung stellen würde.
Ihr Interesse würde mich freuen,

m.f.G.
Roland

#6 2004-10-07 19:57:28

theowlady

Just registered from the USA.  Hello eveyone.  big_smile
Took me twenty minutes to find this reference and then the info wasn't posted! sad
Years ago, I read a book on making shelves, tables and such with papier-mache.  Naturally I didn't keep a record of who, what , etc.  Where was the library.  But that was 20 yrs and 2000 mi ago.
I remember corrugated cardboard was used with layers alternating in orientation to increase strength.  I seem to remember thet you were limited to about 2-3 feet in width unless you used wood underneath.
What I need to know is what the glue was?
Definitely not flour & water.  But what?
Seem to also recall finishing with gesso but I may have mixed that up with something else.  I also have gauze running through my mind!
I was going through just about every craft book in the library!  tongue
Would really appreciate the info you have since I need a small dresser and this seems like a cool way to do it!
Thanks in advance.

Call me Theo

#7 2004-11-05 16:11:59

If you are thinking of making solid, strong furniture out of PM, forget it.  It's not worth the effort.  Wood is easier.  When furniture (and buildings) were made it was with layered paper with linseed oil, baked into a board which was strong and waterproof.
On the other hand, if it organic shapes you want then there are good possibilities.  Start with a strong base of wood or metal and then build your surface shapes and textures in the traditional way.
David (dopapier)

#8 2004-11-07 21:06:07

Jerry Copp from the UK makes lovely thrones/seats  from p-m...and Schmulb at
<http://schmulb.chez.tiscali.fr/sps/acceuilhome.htm>
makes brilliant cardboard papermash furniture.... big_smile

#9 2004-11-08 18:55:40

Mischief
Website

Hi Sue, I've been creating furniture from PM for years... everything from large free standing clocks, unusual bookshelves(wall mounted and free standing), chairs, thrones and pc/tv console cabinets.
The trick I have found is to use a strong armourture. I don't use wood but recycled cardboard. You can pick this up from almost anywhere and the shops, supermarkets etc... are only too happy for you to take away their old packaging. By rolling it and binding it together it can become incredibly strong. Build up your layers of pm until your happy you've done enough and finish how you want. Don't forget that by building up lots of thin varnish layers will make the piece more durable against knocks and chips.
I haven't had a piece fall apart or  break under the strain of books or people yet, and some of them have been around quite sometime now.

Good luck

~~*~~*~~
(AKA) Jilly T.

#10 2004-11-13 08:23:12

Melf
Website

If you are thinking of making solid, strong furniture out of PM, forget it. It's not worth the effort. Wood is easier....
That is so untrue..ive got some PM furniture that are twice has strong has  wood can be..and it is worth the effort..but yes wood is easier : ) the secret of it is to properly mount your armature and have a material that will work well with your pm.
I use pressed cardboard baked in Linseed oil to make the big items..the process is long but worth it ( the baking takes time ) ive made throne's book case's , chairs , small tables and so on in Papier maché and none have shown yet the wear and tear that wood does over time..so i strongly disagree with you

" If the person is willing to learn what do i have to lose by teaching him? "

#11 2004-11-14 17:44:21

yula
Website

Hi everyone,
I found a nice book, partly about the process of furniture:
"Creative Cardboard, making fabulous furniture, amazing accessories & other spectecular stuff" by Linda Ragsdale.
Still, there's a lack of info. I wish there was some plain-word tutorial for making a simple chair (for example). How about it Melf ?
Enjoy
Peace,
Ayelet

Thanks

#12 2004-11-15 01:39:40

Melf
Website

hmm why not : ) ill try to whip something up with some pics and send it to the site admin if she wants it ..i have a real busy month with the holidays coming up but ill do my best.

#13 2004-11-16 16:56:48

yula
Website

Melf, It's wonderful that you're thinking about enriching us with a furniture tutorial. We'll be waiting, but take your time, we can wait until after the holidays.
Cheers
Ayelet

Thanks

#14 2004-11-16 23:27:40

Jackie
Website

A tutorial on furniture making would be great.

If anyone else has any ideas for a tutorial or a project they would like to share, I would like to hear from you also. Feel free to email me with any suggestions.

jackie@papiermache.co.uk

Jackie

#15 2004-11-28 06:54:49

sweetcindy

hi everyone im really new to this i wanna try to make some things but i have no idea how to. can someone msg me and help? thanks so much

Yours truly:
cindy
xxxxxx

#16 2005-03-08 01:29:39

Melf
Website

hehe i know its been a while but the tutorial is almost finished ( still waiting for my piece to dry out for sanding ) so it should be ready for next month  big_smile

#17 2005-03-09 18:44:15

Mayra

Woohoo!!!!
I've been looking out for this tutorial...I can't wait to see it!

#18 2005-03-10 03:13:27

yula
Website

Melf, I'm so happy and looking forward, as do so many of us.
Thank you in advance,  big_smile 

Cheers,
Yula

Thanks

#19 2005-03-16 19:24:13

Whirlwind
Website

I cant wait to read your tutorial on Furniture making - Where is it - was it rejected by the site admin - or is there an archive I havent found yet - Maybe its just not up yet - In that case - Hurry up already smile

#20 2005-03-17 12:24:39

Jackie
Website

So there are loads of budding furniture makers out there?   Melf hasn't finished the tutorial yet, but as soon as it is on the site it will be in the "Tutorials" section and also mentioned on the homepage.  Then you can all get busy! Please come back with pictures and stories of your experiences.

Jackie

#21 2005-04-30 06:04:29

Heather Chamberlin

My name is Heather.  I found a book called, "English Papier Mache of the Georgian and Victorian Periods" by Shirley Spaulding Devoe.   "This book begins with a brief general history of paper mache.  From snuff boxes and trays to elaborate coverings for large furniture.  Mrs. DeVoe discusses the various processes of production in different cultures and in different periods.  I this book on e-bay.  Also try Alibris.
   Another antique book is, "Bielefeld, Charles F. On the Use of the Improved Papier-mache in Furniture, in the Interior Decoration of Buildings, and in Works of Art, London": 1850 (Big bucks)
    Book:  "Great Papier Mache, Furniture, Masks, Animals, Hats" by Gerry  Copp
   Book:  "The Art of Papier Mache" by Kenny

#22 2005-04-30 08:55:19

Jackie
Website

Thank you Heather.

Jackie

#23 2005-05-02 21:04:19

butterbee

I have been dabbling in furniture making. I am currently making a stool for my work table out of papier-mache and tin cans.

I am really looking forward to the tutorial. I am so excited I can hardly wait.

#24 2006-08-15 07:26:40

pom

This tutorial never seems to have happened... Did I miss it? I'd love to make a papier mache bookcase, but I'm not sure it's possible. Anyone?

#25 2006-08-15 13:29:20

butterbee

Pom: If you missed it, I missed it too. I have been waiting forever for this tutorial as well. sad

Board footer