HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Japanese Rice Paste

#1 2012-11-04 03:01:17

kokopellime

Japanese Rice Paste

I just came across a beautiful PM bowl by multi-media artist, Debra Ganz while browsing the Etsy site.  She notes that she used Japanese rice paper and rice paste in creating her layers.  I did a bit of research and apparently it incorporates rice flour, sugar, oil of cinnamon and water and can be stored out of the refrigerator for months

My question is simply as to if others here have used rice paste in their own work and what, if at all, is the difference from some of the more common white flour recipes

Irv

#2 2012-11-05 08:53:27

CatPerson

Re: Japanese Rice Paste

I've only done one small, uncompleted project using rice flour, and I only used rice and water, cooked slightly.  My dog said it tasted okay, but kind of chewy, not melt-in-your-mouth like she expected.  I think she really liked the regular wheat flour better, as she left fewer spit-wads as evidence.  Of course, her real preference would be roast beef gravy.  :-}

Any other questions about why I prefer to use wood-based methyl cellulose instead of food-based adhesives?

Sue

#3 2012-11-05 23:38:55

kokopellime

Hi Sue,

Though incomplete, how did you find the 'sticking' qualities of the rice paste?  Did you find it a stronger or weaker adhesive in comparison to methyl cellulose based paste.  Why do you prefer it over food based adhesives?  I'd like to work with natural, non-toxic substances where ever possible in the whole PM process

Cute comment about your pup's preferences ;-)

#4 2012-11-06 05:30:05

CatPerson

I never got the chance to see how tightly it stuck...

I like methyl cellulose (MC) because it dries fairly quickly, it's clear, and sticks well.  It's non-toxic and won't cause allergic reactions.  It's made from wood pulp, and is the main ingredient of the laxative Citrucel, so it's even edible.

I guess I should try the rice flour again, and keep it out of reach of certain parties.  I wonder if ants like it?  I've got a serious ant problem right now.

Sue

Board footer