HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Are there PM workshops in the DC area?

Are there PM workshops in the DC area?

#1 2012-10-16 21:15:43

kokopellime

Are there PM workshops in the DC area?

Does anyone know of any in-person workshops on PM in the Washington DC metro area?

I'm immersing my self in PM (imagine someone floating in a vat of pulp ;-) and have found a wealth of info on this site, several books, YouTube and the like but I'd love to commune with a live instructor if possible.

If you are aware of classes or workshops in the area, geared to the adult learner, I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

I'd also welcome the opportunity to meet with other local PM crafters/artisans over a cup of coffee.  Let me know if you'd like to do so and we'll figure how we can meet.

kokopellime (a/k/a - Irv)

#2 2012-10-17 03:52:37

CatPerson

Re: Are there PM workshops in the DC area?

Check area blogs.  Talk to the craft store people, see if they have a bulletin board. Look around in hippie-type health food stores.

#3 2012-10-17 05:10:11

bmaskmaker

Koko,

I'm in Takoma Park, MD and would be happy to meet for conversation / paper macheing.  I've done a couple of workshops in the past, most recently this June, but they're more at the request of someone vs. a regularly scheduled gig.

Sometimes you can find workshops on pulp casting (similar but not quite papier mache) at Pyramid Atlantic ... but I just checked and it doesn't look they've got anything currently. 

But I'd love to meet and discuss further if you're up for it.  PM me and I'll send you my contact details.  (And if anyone else is in the DC area and wants to join in, let me know.   : )

-- b

#4 2012-10-17 07:49:47

kokopellime

Though I use 'kokopellime" as my nom de plume on the forum (Kokopelli is the Hopi & other southwestern/Meso American native people's fertility deity, bringer of abundance, trickster and lothario, often portrayed playing a flute).  I happen to play the Native American flute (NAF) and he represents my creative spirit.

My actual name is Irv Sheffey and I live in southeast DC, the other end of the world ;-) from Takoma Park. I love your neck of the woods (including Takoma, DC) and I can come up your way, just let me know where we can meet for a coffee or tea that has nearby parking.

I came across reference to Pyramid in the hopes that they might have a PM class, but like you notice, they don't offer any at the moment.  Politics & Prose had a workshop earlier this year according to a Google search and I'm hoping they might sponsor another.  It seemed to be a Master Class of sorts, featuring an artist from France who apparently has an international following.

As I noted above that I play the NAF which is kinda off the beaten path of musical scene in DC, but we have a Potomac NAF Circle that meets monthly to show and tell newly acquired or treasured old flute, play (usually improv) and just enjoy what the flute brings together in terms of community.  Without getting too far ahead, having a similar circle for local PM enthusiasts, could help promote the craft beyond what most people know of it.  We'd do what the forum does but in-person.

Please send me an email at irv.sheffey@sierraclub.org so we can exchange numbers.

#5 2012-10-17 19:35:55

CatPerson

When you run across groups that have had PM workshops in the past, it might behoove you to contact them with the question of when they might be having future ones.  Viable interest might speed things up.

Sue

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Are there PM workshops in the DC area?

Board footer