HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Please help my 40 Art students....QUICK!

Please help my 40 Art students....QUICK!

#1 2004-03-22 02:41:40

brobson

Please help my 40 Art students....QUICK!

I am attempting vases with paper mache and pringles cans. They are for a fine arts festive and will be centerpieces.  I wanted the paper to be put on with plaster cast strips and then a paper mache lizard to go around it.
We used celluclay and water mixed together and kneaded it and then applied it to the vase after the plaster strips. The form was rough and many fell off.  I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Half of the class didn't use plaster strips and used torn manilla paper with paper mache glue to cover their pringles cans and most of the strips didn't get smoothed down and are now sticking out after dried.  Should we just put plaster strips over them?  THese kids are 1st-6th graders.

This isn't how I envisioned this project at all.

Should I have used something else for detail?  Or does anyone have advise on how to salvage it on Tuesday?

Brenda

#2 2004-03-22 09:05:08

Jackie
Website

Re: Please help my 40 Art students....QUICK!

Hi Brenda,

I don't use Celluclay myself, so someone else could better advise you on that aspect, but here are a couple of quick fixes for the other problems:

1 Use sandpaper to smooth down all the bumps.

2  To hold together flaky parts and add strength, coat with a watered down pva (white glue) mix (I think you know it as "Elmers" in the States?) diluted 50/50.

Hope this helps and you are able to salvage the projects.

Jackie

#3 2004-03-22 23:25:48

rozani
Website

Re: Please help my 40 Art students....QUICK!

Hi Brenda,

For those cans that have the strips sticking out, perhaps you can incorporate vines all around the can and have the lizard crawl on them.  That would cover most flaws and add texture.  Dampen and re-work the glue strips by twisting the paper into strands and pressing them down.

Sometimes, mixed media will not work together due to their properties.  It's hard, at least for me to combine plaster with anything other than perhaps gesso and paint.  Also, plaster should be completely dry before attempting to attach anything to it.

Dampness is usually the culprit in many of these projects.  Allow enough drying time between layers before adding dimension.  More layers mean more moisture and usually more weight.

Hope this helps.

Rozani

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Please help my 40 Art students....QUICK!

Board footer