HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Paper mache powder recipe

#1 2004-03-07 01:33:54

buddyrocket

Paper mache powder recipe

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I have been experimenting with paper mache powder recipes like the commercial product powder that you can buy in art and crafty shops. So far I have had limited sucess and was wondering if anyone would be generous enough to share their recipe if they have managed to make a similar product. The best thing I have done so far is make a pulp add glue dry it out in the air for several days  and then dry it out in a slow oven for up to 12 hours and then I break it up and put it through my husbands heavy duty grinder. Its a laborious and long process and a simpler more efficient one would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers from Buddyrocket

blissed out on colour

#2 2004-03-15 12:10:45

Re: Paper mache powder recipe

dear buddyrocket, or blissed out; I am writing you from Canada (in a snow storm, beside the woodstove).  Am new to papier mache, although we did some way back in school. 

Why do you want a powder?  Can you make molds with it?  If so, what kind and how?  I admire your efforts to make the powder; is it because it costs less or because you can't buy the powder?  What kind of glue do you use?  I know you asked for help and here I am with more questions... Sorry!

I paint and I sculpt in ceramic and want to make copies in a light, relatively permanent medium that is not very toxic.  That way I can share my sculptures by mail all over the world. Is papier mache considered a real artist's medium?  I would want the sculptures to last at least 30-40 years.  And can I give more detail; I mean really sculpt them after molding them, let's say if they are made out of your powder???  My email address in "bernalainlap@globetrotter.net"  Please zap me, and have a great day!!!

Board footer