HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Tried to make pulp....got a giant rubbery ball of goo instead

Tried to make pulp....got a giant rubbery ball of goo instead

#1 2012-06-08 14:26:56

trixyinaz

Tried to make pulp....got a giant rubbery ball of goo instead

So I had an old bag of shredded paper in the garage and decided to see if I could make some pulp out of it.  Soaked it for two days, ran it through my food processor, strained it then pulverized it again.  However, throughout the mess, I noticed I must have shredded envelopes becuase there was a lot of clear plastic in it.  I decided to press on and see what the outcome would be so I added my glue.  I got this giant rubbery ball of goo. 

I assume it's from the adhesives used on the envelopes that I shredded?  Before I throw this away I wondered if anyone else has done this and if there is a use for this glob in paper mache.  Does it ever dry out and become hard?  It doesn't stick to your hands or anything, but if you pull it apart and stick two pieces together, it sticks GREAT!  I'd hate to waste it, but if it's trash, it's trash!  I'm wondering if I could use it to build up some of my pieces (like to use as a tail or roll out and make designs) and then papier mache over it.

I came on here 'cuz I know someone will have an answer for me.  Thanks!

Vicki

#2 2012-06-08 18:37:05

bmaskmaker

Re: Tried to make pulp....got a giant rubbery ball of goo instead

Vicki ...

Yes it will dry out and harden.  It'll likely shrink some and maybe deform a bit when it dries out. 

If you think about it, you've actually made a kind of paper mache silly putty or clay.  My paper clay recipe sometimes goes through a stage like this (tho not quite as rubbery) ... 

I mix mine with a drill mixer (mud mixing attachment in a drill) in a 2 or 5 gallon bucket.  I'd suggest trying to add more paper (newspaper pulp or something you know doesn't have any adhesive added) ... and maybe some joint compound (which acts as filler) ... and see if you can get something a little more clay-like. 

But yes, there are uses for it.  What were you hoping to use it for?  What was your original goal?

-- b

#3 2012-06-09 23:36:40

trixyinaz

Thanks, B!  I will save all of it and try adding some newspaper to it.  Glad to know it's not a total wash!

I want to use it to make some piggy banks or even some wall art.  The glob I made yesterday was flattened and I set it outside to dry....taking a lot longer than my usual pulp.  I'll have to keep that in mind.

#4 2012-06-10 23:15:04

CatPerson

It sounds like too much glue.  As a teacher once explained:  add some glue to the paper; don't add some paper to the glue.

It could be worse:  PM mistakes can be burned or dropped in the trash, but mistakes made in concrete generally have to be buried.

Sue

#5 2012-06-11 15:50:47

trixyinaz

Thanks, Sue!

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Tried to make pulp....got a giant rubbery ball of goo instead

Board footer