HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Making sculpture look hairy.

#1 2004-02-25 15:20:25

Vicky McElhinney

Making sculpture look hairy.

has anyone got any good ideas for a hairy paint effect.  I need to make a figures arms and face look hairy, not like a dog or anything just an excessively hairy person.  So far I have managed to make it look like 3rd degree burns but can't quite get the hair thing going on.  I have sanded the paint off three times already, if I have to do it again I think I will throw it out of the window.

Can someone please give me some help or tell me to give up.

#2 2004-02-27 11:42:56

Karen
Website

Re: Making sculpture look hairy.

Hello Vicky! You can do one of several things to simulate hair. You can roll newsprint (or other paper) tightly, tape and let soak in your solution until wet. Cut to size and apply. Or you can roll out your pulp and apply "strands" to form hair. Both work equally well.

karen
www.farroutart.com

#3 2004-02-27 15:32:15

Vicky McElhinney

Thanks for the tip Karen.  My figure is only about 12" tall that is why I was hoping to do it with paint. Will give it a go!

Cheers

Vicky big_smile

#4 2004-03-19 21:55:23

rozani
Website

Hi.

Hmmmmm.....the ole third degree burn effect.  Been there.  Chalk it up to another one of those experiments.  Frankly, when it comes to paint application it's all in the strokes and a steady hand.  Whether using a tooth pick or a brush, the bristles and the point will make a difference.  Good eye sight and a magnifying glass really come in handy.

By the way, Karen's method can apply to small pieces as well, though I know it's not quick.  It's all relative.  Smaller scissors cut smaller pieces, especially to create fringe.  Small fibers are created by smaller objects such as paper shreds which have been twisted into strands.  Dip them.  Then apply them side by side with each one touching.  Now, on top of that goes the paint which doesn't need any technique other than applying it.

So, one may wonder, Is it worth it?  One way to find out.  This is where you have to weigh the time involved in actual 3-D, as opposed to a faux finish.  Let's say, you use a stencil brush.  Will it fit into the space?  If so, then you will probably need to pounce it lightly over a contrasting color.  How about a tooth pick? If so, you need to use it like a colored pencil and then dip, apply, dip, apply scratching in a row like using a crow quill.  A tooth brush or perhaps mascara brush may alsohave possibilities.

Have fun.

Rozani

Board footer