HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

detail with paper mache

#1 2004-02-20 09:35:32

morninghawk

detail with paper mache

Just a thought

How detailed do you think you can reasonably get with paper mache? :?:

morninghawk

#2 2004-02-20 13:31:41

Jackie
Website

Re: detail with paper mache

Hello Morninghawk,

That question fascinates me too! A while ago I started on a very detailed project to put papier mache to the ultimate test. As tempting as it has been to incorporate other materials I have resisted as I want it to 100 % papier mache.

When I have finished it I will post some pictures to the site. Is anyone doing any similar experimenting?

Jackie

#3 2004-02-20 17:57:34

morninghawk

If anyone could give me some help with posting pictures, I would post some pics of the 1st dragon I did. and pics of the dragon I currently have in progress.

So far, I can achieve great muscle tone, and good bone stucture.In both Dragons I did place plastic, or glass eyes instead of creating them out of mache. On the 1st dragon the original horns were mache, however they were weak, broke off :cry: , and later replaced with wire re-enforced PVC clay. big_smile

I have to agree with another post though, using wallpaper paste (powder) is in the long term much more effective for the $$ you spend. smile

How detailed, and durable is that store processed paper mache? :?:  (the stuff that when mixed is effectively clay in it's texture) I've never worked with it and am curious to find out if I could use that to create texture on the face of the new dragon. :?  I tried plaster with the last dragon and did not like the results I received with the paint.

#4 2004-02-20 18:08:44

russ
Site Admin
Website

Hi,

You can't actually post images to the forum but if you'd like your own visitors' gallery section just let me know and I'll set you up.  smile

Regards,
Russ

#5 2004-03-20 04:06:32

rozani
Website

Hi There.

I think the sky is the limit.  We are bound only by the limits of our imagination.  That is, if we have the right tools.  I mean that it is easy enough to create texture, dimension, depth, etc. 

Judging from some of the pieces I've seen from members of this forum, there have been some awesome examples of detailed work created completely in paper mache.

I've gotten great detail out of brown paper for tree bark, as well as stones.  Paper towels have added great texture for my reptiles.  Contrast in paper can also yield some interesting results when no paint is used.  It's like sculpting with light and shadow sometimes.  But then, I'm a paper addict and jump at the chance at working with different types, especially in color.

Paint and color, really add to some pieces.  Others can stand alone.  I am only recently experimenting with detailed painting.  I might be getting the hang of it.  Sometimes, it takes a little longer than others.  It's really amazing when it all comes together.

Rozani

Board footer