HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Fixing a hollow cone to a base?

#1 2012-04-19 16:14:32

pauldwellings

Fixing a hollow cone to a base?

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie here and a complete newbie with papermache - must admit i'm having so much fun trying things out. So glad i found this site - the tutorials are great.

I could do with some advice on a particular project i'm working on... I'm making a sort of 'sunburst/spikey' hat (the reason? i happen to be a novice Drag Queen & trying to make my own outfits).

I have the papermache helmet base all complete and now want to attach/stick some cones on it. I've seen the ready made cones that i can buy so until i'm more confident to make my own - i'll use these.

What i'm unsure of is how best to securely attach the cones to the base as they are hollow.

If some kind souls could give me some advice i'd be ever so thankful.

Paul x

Last edited by pauldwellings (2012-04-19 16:29:14)

#2 2012-04-19 17:42:53

dopapier

Re: Fixing a hollow cone to a base?

I would use good quality masking tape but you need to be sure first of all that it will stick to your cone.  If not, you might need to paint PVA on the cone to provide a new surface.  Once you've overcome that bit, placing the cone on the base and sticking bits of masking tape all round should make it secure.  If all that fails, you could use a sewing method.
Place layers of pasted kraft paper over all of it to unify and bond.  You could then paint or decorate in any way you want.

I'm a PM addict

#3 2012-04-19 17:44:52

CatPerson

My first choice would be a hot-glue gun, if you have access to one.  It would provide the most secure attachment for the limited amount of base space that you have for the cones.

Second choice would be a good contact (chemical type in a tube) cement, one of those where you apply glue to both surfaces, wait a specified amount of time (set the timer if you're like me!), then press them together.

Be sure to mark the attachment spots with a pencil and get the spacing correct before you attempt to glue anything -- having to rip three-quarters of your work apart because you measured wrong is very frustrating.  (Guess how I know?)

If you plan to wear the headpiece for any continuous length of time, or repeatedly, perspiration from your scalp is going to affect it, and you.  I don't really know what the absolute best way would be to deal with that, but at the minimum, I would coat the inside of the helmet with a couple of good layers of acrylic paint (to help prevent damage to the headpiece), and if possible, drill or punch some holes in less visible spots for ventilation (for your comfort). 

For your next project, work holes into the design so it looks like they are part of the design, but are really there to provide comfort and ventilation.  One thing to keep in mind are cheap plastic drinking straws.  They can be angled into the design and covered with papier mache to form a streamlined look, and the both ends would be open to ventilate body heat.

Papier mache is ideal for a lot of costume components.

Welcome to the board, and let us know how it turns out!  Photos???

Sue

#4 2012-04-19 17:50:25

CatPerson

Hey, David! Our posts were 59 seconds apart!

Sue

#5 2012-04-19 20:29:58

bmaskmaker

I second the hot glue gun.  Get a dual temp gun and put it on low.  That way if you get glue on your fingers (and you wil), it's merely unpleasant, vs. really painful.  And if you paper mache over the cone, the mache is really what's adhering the cone, the hot glue just sticks it while you're macheing. 

Sounds like fun!

: )

#6 2012-04-19 20:45:38

pauldwellings

Wow! Thanks so much for the advice - so glad i asked instead of bumbling around with it. I'll definately use the advice. Never even gave it a thought about perspiration affecting my headdress so special thanks for that tip. I'll post some pics when it's complete. Already got my next headdress idea in mind.

#7 2012-04-20 09:42:44

dopapier

I agree that hot glue gun is good - providing none of the materials are heat soluble.  You don't say what the cone is made of.  If polystyrene, test the hot glue first.  If card, go for it.  I lay a dribble of PVA on such a join first, leaving gaps for a few dabs of hot glue.  That way you get an immediate 'hold' but a really strong bond once the PVA dries.

I'm a PM addict

Board footer