HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » I need help please. large scale paper-mache sculpture.

I need help please. large scale paper-mache sculpture.

#1 2004-01-25 16:34:48

I need help please. large scale paper-mache sculpture.

I need to build a 6 foot sculpture of the shpinx. I've been told to use chicken net and paper mache, but i would really appriciate it if anybody explains to me how this is get done. I'm pretty new at this, so any tips and advices will be most welcome.

#2 2004-01-25 16:37:20

Re: I need help please. large scale paper-mache sculpture.

if any of you would be most kind and email me, it's at
yhimmel@hotmail.com

and i know i must be asking for too much, but i really need help with this.

Thank you, and have a great day!

#3 2004-02-14 06:07:07

morninghawk

I started my dragon with baloons for starts. Sounds dumb but hear me out.  If you do that, you get the general shape and line features you going to want. Buy maybe like 8" round and the balloons they use for balloon animals. Use masking tape or some other Sturdy tape to hold it together. Scotch tape will only fall off when it gets wet. When yu get your general shape, start with the paper. With mine to cut costs, I recycled the  newspaper at work and bought wall paper power mix it was less than 4$. one container will make PLENTY of glue mix (4+gallons) I would get a solid layer first. If it's too this the wire will bust right thru while you're tying it on. you really only need to reiforce large open areas. (like the chest cavity) or areas that would support alot of weight. Consider this an engineering prodject. You want this wire where it will be needed the most. use the loose ends or additional wire to keep it together. more mache to cover, and create details. (noses, eyes, paws, whatever)
hope this helps.
alicia

#4 2004-04-28 14:38:01

dave riley
Website

to make a mould I follow the line: anything will do. i don't do female moulds so I work over the shape rather than from behind/within. This means I need to be able to pull the lot apart when I finish OR include it in the finished job

my preferred approaches for large sculptures like this are:

(a) make them out of styrofoam which is nailed together with birch wood toothpicks or/&  bamboo skewers. you simply dip the 'nails' in PVA glue to get them to hold.

(b) build the shape on top of this using  toilet tissue dipped in clay(preferable paperclay) slip

(c) build the shape  completely in wet newspapers piled, tied and pushed together...keep wet.

After (b) and (C) I simply cover with cling wrap and mache the rest. In (a) I'd incorporate the lot into the sculpture by using (b) technique.
You can also create some very large shapes by building the skeleton in cardboard which is shaped and cut with an electric knife. hold bits together with masking tape and staples.

for extra large objects I'm now basing them on supermarket plastic shopping bags filled with sand or garden dirt and piled into a rough shape of what I'm after. I call this sand bagging. Then I use cheap clay to flesh it out. Cling wrap it and coat with mache...

to save drying time I use commecial felt in one layer -- but you nee to know how to use this material so go to my web site re mask making techniques:

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dhell/mask.htm

dave riley

dave riley

maskmaking, community art projects, puppetry and theatre...working out of Artrageous Community Arts Centre , Brisbane,Australia
http://www.artrageousarts.com.

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » I need help please. large scale paper-mache sculpture.

Board footer