HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Help! I may have made a horrific abomination.

Help! I may have made a horrific abomination.

#1 2011-12-10 11:32:47

Fennius

Help! I may have made a horrific abomination.

So I've got a great big collar thing for a costume that I wanted to coat in soemthing a bit better than the normal strips fo newspaper. Not totally knowing what I was doing I made a past out of boiled tissue paper, boiled linseed oil, wallpaper paste, and pva. Aside from smelling horrible it did go on over the collar quite well.

But it's been out all night and hasn't dried at all. I'll try taking a hairdryer to it later but I was hoping for some advice on this. sad

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/ … /011-2.jpg (Before newspapering)

#2 2011-12-10 13:19:23

Fennius

Re: Help! I may have made a horrific abomination.

Okay it's dried a bit but the thicker bits are still pretty gooey so I've stuck it against a radiator. Does anyone have any advice for how to make the next coat dry faster?

#3 2011-12-10 14:13:24

dopapier

It may be a bit of a bore but I would suggest stripping it off and starting again.  Why not go for the laminating?  - it's strong, flexible and dries quite quickly.  If you alternate kraft (brown) paper with bond (office) you will get a very strong layer quite quickly.
Forget the boiled linseed oil.  It is only of value when you are making a pulp with a filler.  It will impede drying.
Try three layers first and allow to dry.  On a shape like that you can apply reasonably large pieces.  Any unevenness can always be sanded down between applications.
Otherwise, if your base layer has REALLY dried, you could apply just a few laminated layers over that.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#4 2011-12-10 19:08:40

CatPerson

+1 on restarting the project, and on leaving out the linseed oil.  Oil doesn't dry fast, if at all.

Papier mache is basically paper and adhesive.  If you add anything else, you'd best know WHY you're adding it.  People have added things like dog food, whole grains, glitter, chopped straw, etc. If you know why you're adding it, and what the results are likely to be, go right ahead.  Otherwise, Keep It Simple.

You can use the laminated method that David suggested, or the pulp method, since it seemed to work out okay. If you want it to flex, just use diluted (half/half) PVA glue.  If the wallpaper paste isn't listed as 'cellulose', then it is flour.

Do you have a woodworker friend?  Ask him if he can use the linseed oil.

Sue

#5 2011-12-10 19:21:59

dopapier

DOG FOOD??????????????????????????????/

I'm a PM addict

#6 2011-12-10 21:05:14

CatPerson

Yes, on a Yahoo PM forum, they seemed to be into adding all kinds of stuff.  I believe it turned into a 'negative situation' with the dog food.  The dog thought it was a custom-made chew toy.

Sue

#7 2011-12-11 15:21:32

Fennius

My understanding was the linseed oil would give it a gloss finish. It's getting drier and otherwise seems to be working okay, if I don't use the oil in the next batch will it dry faster?

#8 2011-12-11 20:26:41

dopapier

Yes.  For a gloss surface use an acrylic varnish or similar.

I'm a PM addict

#9 2011-12-12 03:27:49

CatPerson

I think linseed oil is used in PM mostly to make the material stronger, and a little more water-resistant when dry.  The thicker the PM, the longer it will take to dry.  I faintly remember reading that it usually takes weeks to dry.  Just remember that dry on the outside doesn't necessarily mean dry on the inside.

Boiled linseed oil is reputed to dry faster than other kinds, but like so many other natural materials, it has been adulterated by addition of other materials and treatments.

Wikipedia has some info that might be informative:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil

Sue

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Help! I may have made a horrific abomination.

Board footer