HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Creating a smooth surface

#1 2003-11-19 12:00:49

Geronimo

Creating a smooth surface

After working in 2D a lot, drawing, painting etc., I fell the need to work in a 3D environment smile So as a total newbie in this form of art, I started looking for a way to create rather complex forms and structures.

Therefore I started out with papiermache recently. First I created the basic forms with this chicken fence wire stuff (what's that in english wink ), with many round forms and curves. After this i used the basic 'newspaper strokes with wallpaperglue technique' to cover the frames.

Everything worked out nice so far. When finished with the first steps, I put the 'sculptures' away to let them dry. But then ... after the drying, the paper got a bit 'bubbly'. To put it in another way, the nice smooth surface I created, wasn't anymore :cry:

I want to carry on working on this piece so what I want to know, is how I can create a nice smooth surface, which stays that way after drying. And with smooth i mean, as smooth as possible 8)

What i was thinking, is to use the 'boiled paper pulp with glue technique' and cover the existing piece up with a nice smooth pulp, let it dry and after that to sand and polish the whole thing. But i don't know if that's the right way to create a smooth surface, or if it's possible at all to do this.
I was also thinking that it might be possible to use some kind of plaster or putty wich is used for walls etc. But then the result might become very fragile, which is not an option.

So please, if you have experience, ideas or some other form of input; let me know tongue

#2 2003-11-19 13:40:41

the925girl

Re: Creating a smooth surface

Hi Geronimo, I use interior spackling paste, the material used to fix nail wholes in the walls and it works great, as long as the layers and thin. I have applied on vases and they have been dropped several times and they didn't brake, It's great.

#3 2003-11-19 15:25:08

Geronimo

Re: Creating a smooth surface

Hi Geronimo, I use interior spackling paste, the material used to fix nail wholes in the walls and it works great, as long as the layers and thin. I have applied on vases and they have been dropped several times and they didn't brake, It's great.

Thanx for the tip smile

I'm Dutch so i don't understand exactly what you mean by 'interior spackling paste'. I'm famillair with those kind products but they come in a wide range for all sorts of purposes (e.g. big holes/small holes/quick dry etc.). So can you be a bit more specific in which product you use ?

Furthermore i would like to know if you use it directly on a papiermache underground, maybe you use some extra supplies ?
And wich tools are the best to work with, for applying and for finishing (sanding etc.) ?

thanks!

Board footer