HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Bewildering World of Gessos, Sealers, Varnishes (for Kids')

Bewildering World of Gessos, Sealers, Varnishes (for Kids')

#1 2003-11-15 20:24:20

SenseofWonder
Website

Bewildering World of Gessos, Sealers, Varnishes (for Kids')

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Papier Mache,

Tuesday is the first day of the after school "Explorations" class in papier mache that I'm giving for 9 1st through 3rd graders.

I've given myself a crash course in papier mache prep and sculpture the past few weeks, and I feel ready.

Except I feel confused about this:

The instructions I see say to paint with acrylic OR with "podgy", the stuff that makes water-based paints permanent.

We will likely be using tempera paints at school. If I ad podgy to the tempera paints, isn't that self-defeating if the purpose is to have a paint that is washable off of kids' clothes?  Any solution to this paradox?

Also: we're advised to gesso the dried papier mache' pieces. I can do that, but in my first experiments, I've painted dry papier mache with acrylic WITHOUT gesssoing, and it looks nice and bright. What's the purpose of gesso, does it make the appearance smoother?

Finally, the matter of varnishes. Are they safe for kids to use? I suppose they're necessary to make the final result nice and glossy. I guess if they're not safe, I could do the varnishing, and that may be necessary anyway, because the class meets only an hour a week for 4 weeks, and I want to maximize use of the kids' time for creative work.

Thanks!
Max Reif
Walnut Creek, CA
feel free to e-mail me at REALnothings@comcast.net

"Being is dying by loving."
               Meher Baba

#2 2003-11-16 16:03:25

Jackie
Website

Re: Bewildering World of Gessos, Sealers, Varnishes (for Kids')

Hi Max,

Keep it simple! There is no need to worry about gesso. A couple of coats of emulsion paint will seal the papier mache perfectly well. It will also kill the newsprint, giving you a blank canvas to work on. You can use up leftovers of emulsion paint from house decorating, or buy those little matchpots from decorating shops for small projects.

Varnishing too is optional. If the children are using tempera paints, you could try what a teacher friend of mine uses with her children. She gets them to mix their paints with watered down (50/50) white pva glue and paint this onto their work. This colours their project but also seals it at the same time. Maybe worth a try? They could also use torn up coloured paper for the top layer.

There is no need to buy fancy products to use with papier mache (unless you want to of course). That is the whole beauty of papier mache, it is so easy to find the things you need to make it.

I hope your children have a lot of fun with their projects.

Jackie

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Bewildering World of Gessos, Sealers, Varnishes (for Kids')

Board footer