HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Smoothing the surface?

#1 2011-02-06 18:49:53

Bert

Smoothing the surface?

Hello

I am making this sculpture with paper mache, I probably did not do it right from the beginning, because it isn't smooth at all?

Anyway, I uploaded some pictures, you can take a look:

http://img69.imageshack.us/i/12679365.jpg/
http://img43.imageshack.us/i/16527093.jpg/

What is the best thing I can do right now? I tried sanding, but as you can see, there are too many gaps in it...

Thanks in advance,

Bert

#2 2011-02-06 21:05:21

Jackie
Website

Re: Smoothing the surface?

You could make up a batch of pulped papier mache (instructions in tutorials section). You could then smooth this onto your surface and press it down firmly but gently. Don't make it too wet or it will make the existing dried papier mache soggy. If you need a faily thick layer it would be best to do it in stages, letting it dry between each layer.

Jackie

#3 2011-02-06 22:12:41

dopapier

At the moment it looks as though your structure is very loose and not well adhered.  Don't worry, it can be remedied.  The first thing to do is check your paste.  Read the article on 'What Paste to Use'.  In brief, a mixture of 75% wallpaper paste with 25% white glue, to a consistency of thick cream.  Work it into any loose areas in your structure, press it down firmly and let it dry thoroughly.
Take small pieces of newspaper smeared on both sides with paste (slightly moist but not wet) and press them into any cavities until the surface is as smooth as you can make it.  Allow to dry thoroughly and rough sand.
Then apply a layer of brown packaging paper all over, pressing in very firmly.  Leave to dry.  Sand with coarse sandpaper until reasonably smooth (the surface will be rough) then with a finer sandpaper. 
Apply two layers of newspaper and smooth again.  I guess that this should be almost there but you can carry on with the process until you are satisfied.  If not, you can always ask again.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#4 2011-02-08 07:41:06

Bert

Alright! I'll try this soon and let you know how what the result is!

Thanks!

#5 2011-02-09 23:13:59

skwirl

Hi Bert!
May I ask what kind of paste mixture you did use?

#6 2011-02-10 04:42:02

CatPerson

If you used a glue that will absorb water after it has dried, maybe you could lightly spray the piece until all the water is absorbed, then do it again, until the piece is damp (not wet), and lay plastic wrap/cling film across the surface and press firmly all over, and then again.

This won't work with a glue that won't absorb water very well, and you'll have to follow David's instructions to add additional layers, or Jackie's suggestion to use pulp.

One of the important things to remember with papier mache is that you MUST press each layer down firmly.  The smoother you get it when it's moist, the less you will have to sand when it's dry.

Papier mache is a simple medium... until you start working with it and learn the 'rules', what works and what doesn't and under what conditions.

Sue

Board footer