HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Making a Smooth Mask?

#1 2011-01-20 05:03:40

SebastianFox

Making a Smooth Mask?

Hi, I'm currently working on a mask, and I've run into a few snags so i've come seeking help! This mask is one of the largest pieces i've done that's for sure, and I somewhat just jumped right into it. I used cardboard for a base structure, then used a layer of newspaper mache all over, then I used plaster with gauze and water to create a 'cast' almost, on top of my mache layer for lots of strength (it's a decoration piece, so the weight of the plaster/gauze isn't really a worry) However, i've now finished a bit of it (decorating on a hat) and realized the face isn't quite up to snuff. I sanded it a bit, but if anyone has tried to sand gauze before they know how impossible that feat can be.

So I'm wondering if there isn't a cheap, effective way to get a nice smooth surface to my mask. I'd love if it was controlled, (cause I didn't realize how much of a problem the face was going to be till AFTER I finished the hat, so I need the stuff to not go all over the part that i've already finished  >_< doh!) but not super expensive cause i've already put a fair bit of money into this project, and it's always nice to save money.
Any response is deeply appreciated.
Thank you!

-Sebastian

#2 2011-01-20 11:06:59

dopapier

Re: Making a Smooth Mask?

Have a look at the discussion under 'Brilliant Website' which deals with this.  If you look through the Forum topics there have been many items over the years that discuss this question.
Certainly you can't sand gauze.  The benefit of papier mâché is that you can sand it, saw it, cut pieces out and replace them and so much more.

I'm a PM addict

#3 2011-01-21 02:26:38

CatPerson

Acrylic gesso is probably the most common substance for creating a smooth finish, although if the surface is quite rough, it might take many coats of it.

However... it occurred to me that acrylic gesso seems quite adaptable to changing the thickness. 

I've never tried it, I've just thought about it.  Suppose you add enough gesso to a cup (no more than half full) and then add some kind of fine, dry material to thicken it... ground chalk? Plaster? You would have to work fairly quickly with plaster.

Add it, stir well to produce a smooth mix, then brush it over the mask, filling in the low spots.  For the first go-round, it might even be a good idea to wipe the surface with a cloth, leaving the mix just in the holes and depressions. 

Then mix up another batch (or dilute the leftovers with more liquid gesso) so it's a bit thinner, and brush that on.  Make every coat thinner than the last, then several coats of plain gesso.

What do you think?

Sue

#4 2011-01-21 07:41:04

SebastianFox

I ended up getting some gesso today, i've put about 4 layers of it on so far (letting it dry completely between each layer). I can still see the layers of gauze though (annoying). I like your idea of making a thicker gesso. I'm done working on the mask for today, so before I finished I put a large amount of gesso over areas that were 'more severe' than others. i'll leave it till it's totally dry and then hopefully i'll be able to sand it done nice and smooth. If that doesn't work I think I might try your idea of thickening the gesso up a bit. Thanks for the idea! It's definitely starting to get smoother though. I think this will end up working very well.

#5 2011-01-21 09:35:09

dopapier

For  a next mask, you could use the gauze as an early strengthening layer, but then paste paper layers over that with a higher percentage of PVA at first to give a strong bond.  After three or four layers you will find sanding (use a coarse one for rough bits but finish with fine e.g.400 grade) easy and effective, after which a thin layer of gesso should be enough to give the porcelain type of finish you seem to be after.

I'm a PM addict

#6 2011-01-23 06:21:03

SebastianFox

So, 12 layers of gesso later, I got the smoothness I wanted, and because of the color choices you can't see any ridges between layers of gauze. I will definitely do what you've suggested dopapier, for my next piece, thank you for the idea!

Board footer