HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Egg shells

#1 2010-12-31 15:20:51

dopapier

Egg shells

Some time ago we had a discussion about egg shells as a source of the ground chalk for filling paper pulp.  We found that while it should work in theory, the difficulty in grinding egg shell to a really fine powder was not worth while.
However . . .
I have just pulled out of storage a piece that I started making with a pulp that included egg shells pulverised in a mortar and pestle.  The pulp is certainly hard but what struck me was that it looked like granite, the tiny pieces of shell looking like the quartz granules.  I reckon that with a good polish it could look very effective.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#2 2011-01-01 03:10:57

CatPerson

Re: Egg shells

Well, polish it and let us know!

And if it works, there may be other materials that can provide other interesting effects.

Sue

#3 2011-01-03 17:36:24

Jackie
Website

Nice idea David. Sounds like a candidate for the dremel!

Interested to know how it turns out.

Jackie

#4 2011-01-11 14:36:39

Pelletor
Website

Egg shells are hard indeed.  I just used one as a decorative shape on a PM plant stand I made my wife for Christmas.  The inside of the shell was coated with PM clay for added strength so I was able to trim it to the shape desired and then I sanded the outside to remove the slight texture this particular shell had and it was tough going.

Egg shells are very hard so it would be nice to see how your project turns out David.

Bob C.

#5 2011-01-13 09:56:09

antoniag

Whatever you do don't try it with ostrich eggs!  I was given (a fresh) one as a present and had to use an electric drill to get the contents out (for the biggest omelette EVER) while preserving the shell to do ... something with (it's still on my kitchen shelf waiting for inspiration).  Short of actually jumping on the wretched thing - and even then that might not have worked - there was no other way to get into it.  Would love to see the results of David's experiment, sounds very promising.

Board footer