HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Polymer Clay with papier mâché

#1 2010-12-06 12:48:54

dopapier

Polymer Clay with papier mâché

If you are a purist, don't read any further.  If not, and you like mixed media, this might be of interest.  I am a fairly recent user of polymer clay but have found it gives me a solution to some problems.
1  Making eyes.  PC can be rolled into tiny balls that can be painted with acrylic.  I keep a selection of black and white balls in various sizes that I can use should the need arrive.  If you are more sophisticated you can make a cane with an eye pattern and cut off sections as needed.
2  Teeth.  It is very difficult to make incisors and projecting teeth in pm.  PC is easy and they can be implanted into the laminate or pulp.
3  Claws.  I always feel that wire covered with paper for claws or similar projections is a bit dangerous.  PC can be rolled to a very narrow diameter and pointed, curved or whatever.  These can be implanted into the paper and the sharp end lightly sanded if necessary.  Premo Sculpey retains a slight flexibility so that even in very small sizes, it will not snap.
4  Surface decoration.  If you want to give a subtle, strong surface with a lot of detail, PC may be the answer.  I am finding this ideal for a carapace (a tortoise or turtle shell).  After a coating of PVA, it will hold very well.  You must make sure that the object you are coating has nothing in its armature that cannot be heated to 135C, which is the curing temperature for PC.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#2 2010-12-08 23:01:46

burrumgirl

Re: Polymer Clay with papier mâché

I can never get pc to the right consistency. I have followed the instructions but it either remains very stiff or becomes too soft and seems to get quite grubby in the process picking up all sorts of invisible bits and pieces, from fluff to dogs hair, and fingerprints remain no matter what I do to smooth them. It is quite expensive in Australia over $5 for a 5cm block, but I have seen some great work done with it. Thanks David, after reading your uses for it, I might have a rethink and give it another go.

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#3 2010-12-16 04:49:58

CatPerson

Re: Polymer Clay with papier mâché

I can see it used for things like that, David!  The finishing is easier, and once it's been hardened by baking, you can apply more pressure than with small bits of PM.

I'm more for the right effect and ease of application than I am for purity of craft.  New ideas just add more options.

I've added acrylic paint to watercolor paintings, which is pure blasphemy to many artists!

Sue

Board footer