HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Hello, I am new and have a question!

Hello, I am new and have a question!

#1 2003-10-22 21:44:38

Hello, I am new and have a question!

Hi all, my name is Lia and I am a SAHM to my eighteen month little girl! I also babysit, and decided that I needed a new hobby. I have so far only made a paper mache plate, lol!  smile

I really find doing this to be relaxing, and a lot of fun.
The reason I wanted to post this message was to ask if anyone knows where I would get started in making a paper mache giraffe for a dear friend of mines son?
Help!  big_smile

#2 2003-10-23 14:26:44

Karen
Website

Re: Hello, I am new and have a question!

Hello Lia! Go to "Community" on this forum. Click on the guest artists. There you'll see Grecha's site. She used to have photos of the various animals in stages of development. I can't say for sure, but I'll bet she would be glad to help you!

Any other suggestions out there for Lia?

Karen
http://www.farroutart.com

#3 2003-10-23 15:42:05

Jackie
Website

Hi Lia,

You've found a great new hobby! Have lots of fun with it. While you are having a look at the gallery...see Jennifer's fabulous papier mache giraffe for inspiration too.

Jackie

#4 2003-10-23 15:54:46

Thank you all for the suggestion! Karen I must tell you that I went to look at your web site, and your work is amazing! I am certainly not anywhere near making pieces as beautiful on this site, but am certainly going to try to do my best to make pieces as well as I can.

Actually, the inspiration to create paper mache plates is to make something interesting for friends and family at Christmas time. I have a lot of spare time in the afternoon while the kids are napping, so it is a perfect "me time" to work on them. Thank you both for your responses and I am going to go take a look right now,lol!

Just being on this site has given me some great ideas...

#5 2003-10-24 03:18:33

rozani
Website

Hi Lia!

Welcome!  If you would like to try making a mask instead of a figurine, I have a few suggestions.  A very simple way to do a giraffe mask is from a paper plate.  You can also make one from a mask form.  Here goes....

PAPER PLATE METHOD - Fold one paper plate in half.  Draw an outline for a face and insert an eye outline.  It should be half a face with one ear and one feeler ( or whatever those things are called).  Don't forget the eye hole.  Unfold and you will see two equal halves will form a whole face.  It can be cut right above the nose level.  Use a pair of goggles or sun glasses to get the basic shape for a face mask, just make it wider and longer.  Layer with paper mache strips and allow to dry.  Paint giraffe spots with acrylic paint.

FORM METHOD - Use one acrylic mask form.  Attach feelers made from twisted paper taped to the top of the mask.  Add ears cut from cardboard or free-handed with paper.  Do this with masking tape.  Now mache over everything.  Use about two or three layers.  Allow to dry thoroughly, then pop off the mold.  The masking tape will come off when you pull away the mache form.  Allow inside of mask to thoroghly dry.  Paint.

I don't have a paper plate sample but I do have a sample made from the mask form.  Please take a peek at my giraffe mask in my gallery.

Hope this helps.

Rozani big_smile

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Hello, I am new and have a question!

Board footer