HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Forst Papier Mache Project

#1 2010-11-02 19:03:58

redelf

Forst Papier Mache Project

Hi all -

I am very excited about attempting my first paper mache!  I do have a few questions. My concern is longevity.  I am making a little 2 ft high statue/character for Christmas and I want him to last for many Christmases to come.  Are there materials that I should pick over others?  Is wall paper paste the best to use?  What do I coat him with?  Shellac?  I plan that he will only be used inside but is there a way to make one that could withstand the elements for a short period each year?

#2 2010-11-03 14:29:53

dopapier

Re: Forst Papier Mache Project

No problem.
Wallpaper paste is OK.  Certainly do not use flour paste.
Keep the paste fairly thick and only smear it thinly on the paper, thus making sure you have a good bond, leaving no air bubbles or pieces unpasted.
Have you thought what your armature will be?
To finish it (making sure it is totally and absolutely dry), probably best is acrylic paint and a couple of layers of acrylic varnish.  There is advice on this site from Jackie Hall about waterproofing and discussion in the Forum (you would have to search through) about people's experiences and experiments.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#3 2010-11-03 17:38:19

redelf

Uh oh - I was just getting ready to make up some flour paste and get started - why no flour? Does flour paste not last?  I was going to use one of the recipes I found on here, flour and a bit of glue. I can't find wall paper paste or liquid starch in my neighborhood. 

So don't dip the stips? Paint the glue on and apply? I made an armature out of cardboard, tape and some Styrofoam last night.

I did some research on here and have decided that he should probably be an inside only piece.  Maybe next time I'll do an outdoor one.

BTW - love your giraffe!~

Last edited by redelf (2010-11-03 17:45:13)

#4 2010-11-07 23:45:54

CatPerson

Flours (incl. wheat, rice and potato) attract moisture from the air, insects, vermin and pets with voracious appetites.

Where are you living, what country?

An international company called Henkel makes a good cellulose wallpaper paste.  In the U.S., it is distributed by Roman Adhesives- contact their website for local sources.  Just make sure that your local source understands that you want CELLULOSE-BASED wallpaper paste, not flour-based.  If the wet mix is white, it's flour; if it's clear, it's cellulose.

David, Jackie, what are British brands?  Otherwise, contact Henkel.

I know David likes it thick, I like it thinner, about the consistency of raw egg whites.

I brush it on because it's less goopy, but you can dip it if you want, just run the dipped strip through your fingers to unload the excess. Smooth each strip well; the smoother you get it when it's wet, the less sanding you'll have to do when it's dry.

PM for outdoors is tricky:  one tiny little hole or crack that you miss with the varnish, and moisture will creep in and ruin all your hard work. 

Welcome to the board!  Lots of knowledgeable people here.

Sue

Your armature sounds fine.

#5 2010-11-08 13:27:01

dopapier

Glad you like the giraffe.  So does the lady I gave it to!  She calls it whisky . . .
Sue has explained why not flour.  I wouldn't dip the strips (or even strip the dips:(()
because there is the risk of making them far wetter than they need be.  I use fingers with a little paste on and pull the paper through them before applying.
In GB Polycell produce a good wallpaper paste.  Henkel, under the trade name Pritt now produce a papier mache paste which is in fact SCMC (sodium carboxy methylated cellulose).  It is entirely non-toxic and very easy to use - the best in fact.  However it is not too easy to find, though there are supplies via the internet.  It seems expensive but actually goes a long way.  It comes in the form of a very fine powder which must be mixed with water according to the instructions.  In the fridge it will keep for many weeks.  For your job though I would just use the wallpaper paste with some PVA.  Leave the SCMC for when you start to get really sophisticated!
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

Board footer