HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Jelly bean pinata

#1 2010-07-12 23:52:30

cyok

Jelly bean pinata

Hi, everyone. I am a complete novice to Papier Mache. I once manage to make a pinata for my kids' party out of a balloon. Now I have a new challenge - make another one shaped as a giant jelly bean. If you have any idea, how to make this particular shape - I'd appreciate very much.

Thanks.

#2 2010-07-13 03:53:01

CatPerson

Re: Jelly bean pinata

Hello, cyok!  Welcome!

How large do you want this jelly bean to be?

Maybe you could draw on experience... To me, a jelly bean looks like two balloons taped together.  Just tape them together with masking tape, and do the same thing you did with that pinata.

Sue

#3 2010-07-13 13:47:59

cyok

Thanks, I've thought about it, but I have two concerns:
1. Should I make two papier mache balls out of two balloons,  and then tape them together, or should  I make two halfs of balloons, and then tape THEM together?
2.Another question: wouldn't the place, where I taped, be too weak for pinata, and shouldn't I put an extra layer of papier mache over it then?

Or, do you think, I need to start with just balloons, tape them first, and THEN start on papier mache. Do you think, they are not going to pop out because of taping?

Thank you very much for your input.

#4 2010-07-13 22:56:04

CatPerson

Okay, to firm up the piece so it doesn't flex too much while working on it...

How about taping the two balloons together in the proper shape with masking tape, then wrap the whole thing with newspaper and tape that firmly, too?  Then start wrapping with your papier mache strips. It might be best to apply two layers or so, then let dry, then continue for another two or three layers.  Test when dry to see if it's sturdy enough for your purposes; add more layers if needed.

If you live in a humid area, it would be best not to use an organic adhesive like flour, as it will absorb moisture from the air.  Using cellulose wallpaper paste (add water so it looks like raw egg whites) or regular white PVA glue (white craft glue) mixed half/half with water would probably work better.

Beware of setting the piece in direct sunlight.  Plastic balls and balloons will absorb heat from the sun and the air inside them will expand.  If it doesn't explode the balloons, it may crack or distort your papier mache.

Have fun!

Sue

#5 2010-07-14 00:28:58

cyok

Thank you very much for taking time and answering so thoroughly. I'll try your suggestions.

Board footer