HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Advice on paint

#1 2010-05-03 18:14:38

payal

Advice on paint

Hi All,

I need some advice on the paints used on PM.
Till now i've been using acrylic paint for my projects, but I've read that some artists also use emulsion paints for their art work, the one thats used on walls.

Can anyone help me on some questions:

Is there any specific type of emulsion paint that is used on PM?
Any medium should be used to dilute the paint, if it can be diluted?
and lastly   how can we clean the brushes we use for emulsion paints?

Thanks for any help.

Payal

#2 2010-05-03 18:26:12

WillowleafArtistry
Website

Re: Advice on paint

Emulsion paint is meant to go onto your PM project, once it has dried, BEFORE you put anything else on.  It acts as a sort of sealer to protect the pm from being adversely affected by regular painting.  After applying it, you can then continue covering your project in any way you choose.

What I'm uncertain of so far is if there is much of a difference between the 'normal' emulsion paint that you paint your walls with, and the stuff called "primer" that is put beneath it, or if it even matters for PM use.

You should be able to clean brushes with just soap and water, since emulsion is water-based.

War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left.

#3 2010-05-04 07:35:21

payal

Thanks WillowleafArtistry,

Iam bit confussed here.......are you suggesting that wall primer can be used on PM project before going for final acrylic paint?

I would appreciate any more information on using wall emulsions in place of Water based acrylic paint.

#4 2010-05-04 17:36:05

WillowleafArtistry
Website

I have never painted a house before, all I know is that "primer" is supposed to go onto your walls before the normal wall colour layer, to cover up any imperfections of the wall and make sure the second layer sticks.  But I'm guessing it doesn't matter for PM, just regular old white latex wall paint is what you need.  I'm likely completely overthinking the whole thing =P

Apply the emulsion to your project after your paper is completely dry, let it dry again, then paint it with your acrylics or however other way you wish to finish it.  The emulsion is meant to go beneath the acrylics, rather than replace them, although I don't see why you couldn't use it alone if you *really* wanted to.

War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left.

#5 2010-05-04 22:56:06

CatPerson

Emulsion paint is the same as latex wall paint.  The name depends on what country you are in.  It's emulsion paint in the UK, it's latex wall paint in the U.S.

Primer is a type of sealer paint that is applied to porous surfaces. It comes in water-based and oil-based kinds.  The base will determine what will dilute it and what you clean the brushes with.

Emulsion/Latex paint is very similar to acrylic paint. It is often used as an initial sealer for papier mache. Let dry well, then apply any artistic media: more emulsion/latex paint, acrylic paint, oil paint, etc.

While you can use acrylic and latex/emulsion paints on top of the same, sometimes it is not advisable to paint acrylic, latex/emulsion paint over oil-based primers.  You should get specific information regarding the particular oil-based primer you are using.  In the U.S., it seems to be safe to use acrylic/Latex/emulsion over the Kilz brand oil-based primer.

When using anything referred to as a commercial primer, be sure to wait at least two hours before adding your decorative paints.

Sue

#6 2010-05-05 16:07:32

Patraw
Website

I mostly use acrylics, but I've used latex, oil, and even watercolors on past PM projects with good results.  I never seem to have any problems with mixing different types of paint, but your mileage may vary.

#7 2010-05-07 07:29:06

payal

Thanks WillowleafArtistry, Sue and Patraw for your replies, I suppose I'll gve latex paint a try......Cant' learn untill we give new things a try.

Payal

Board footer