HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

How to make faux finishes?

#1 2010-05-01 02:12:32

WillowleafArtistry
Website

How to make faux finishes?

I am new to this site and am very interested in learning paper mache.  I've browsed all the galleries and am stunned at how gorgeous some of the pieces are, and how utterly realistic they are in their imitation.

I'd love to know how to go about creating the beautiful faux finishes such as aged/patina'd metals, woods, cloth, and stones like granite or marble, on papier mache. My Google-fu has failed me.  Also non-paint finishes such as embossing/texturing, foiling, incorporating other materials like yarn, etc.

If anyone would care to share their personal techniques, direct me over to helpful websites (ones that actually go step by step, not just "read the paint can"), or give recommendations on certain books to purchase, that would be much appreciated!

War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left.

#2 2010-05-01 03:16:23

CatPerson

Re: How to make faux finishes?

Rather than googling a general term like 'faux finish', be more specific: crackle finish, copper patina finish, faux granite finish, etc.

There is a really good book on the subject, and when I wanted it several months ago, I couldn't find it, as I lost it when my hard drive died.

Some of the best sources may be through your local public library.

Sue

#3 2010-05-01 03:57:50

WillowleafArtistry
Website

The thing about the net is that I don't have interest in wading through tons of separate pages searching for what I want, which is why I was hoping for sites that are more "all inclusive" for techniques.

I did a little search on Chapters.ca and managed to find one they actually have available called "The Paint effects Bible: 100 Recipes for Faux Finishes"

War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left.

#4 2010-05-01 16:59:50

CatPerson

Finding one good book source will prevent hours of useless, non-productive surfing online.  People who produce books usually have some decent experience behind them; online, anyone who has read a three-paragraph how-to can stick some untested theories theories together and pass it off as fact.

Just be sure to test all recipes on small, inconsequential pieces, not on the result of hours of work, until you know what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!

Sue

Board footer