HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Metylan

#1 2010-04-26 19:50:23

paperhorse

Metylan

Hi. I'm new to papier mache and to this forum. I getting ready to work on my first piece. Like several others I live in a humid climate in the U.S. so I'm leaning towards using Metylan Cellulose paste. I have some on hand, but upon reading the directions on the box I'm concerned. They claim "Entire contents of package must be dissolved at same time or unsatisfactory solution may result". I'm supposed to add between 5 - 7 1/2 quarts of water. However, I don't want this much all at once. Has anyone mixed up smaller quantities and been OK? I don't see why I'd have to use it all. Thanks.

#2 2010-04-27 15:25:37

dopapier

Re: Metylan

I've not used Metylan but suspect that the warning is entirely unnecessary.  I guess it may be a matter of the proportions.  In other words, if you get the proportions wrong you may not get the results you want.  It is ridiculous to suggest that you must make the full quantity and nothing less.
All you have to do (I feel sure) is to measure the contents carefully, either by weight or by volume and dissolve it according to the instructions and with the appropriate percentage of the water.  Keep the unused powder well sealed until you need it again.
With CMC (which may not be the same as Metylan) I find that keeping it in the fridge (carefully labelled!!) it will last for aeons.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#3 2010-04-27 15:59:24

paperhorse

Thanks David. I was leaning towards doing as you suggest, but was hesitant with this being the first time using this stuff. I know that there's a learning curve when trying anything new and I'm sure I'll make plenty of mistakes. I'm just trying to cut down on how many I make. I'll refrigerate the unused portion as suggested.

Donna

#4 2010-05-01 03:09:03

CatPerson

I've used it, and multiple small batches work just fine.  The instructions on the box are for use with wallpaper.  For PM, just make up a small batch at a time, like a cupful (or even less), but remember to keep it covered.  It's quite forgiving -- if it seems too thin, add a bit more; if it's too thick, thoroughly mix in extra water (just a little at a time).  I find the consistency of watery eggwhites the most useful.  Thick and gloppy is not good.

Nothing works as well as experimenting.  Trust me, if you make a really good mistake, you WILL remember it!  8-)

Sue

#5 2010-05-04 23:14:34

paperhorse

Hi Sue

Well I made a few mistakes already in just putting the structure together.  Haven't found the time yet to actually do the papier mache part, but feel more confident with the advice. I'm anxious to begin. I know I'll love it once I get started. smile  Thanks for the tips.

Donna

Board footer