HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Straw or Hay as primary paper mache material?

Straw or Hay as primary paper mache material?

#1 2010-04-22 16:14:10

Idealien

Straw or Hay as primary paper mache material?

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience (or recipes) that use straw or hay as a primary building material? A few reasons I ask about this.

One, I have a lot of old hay from a barn that could be used for an artistic purpose.
Two, As a bulky substance it could cover large areas compared to regular PM.
Three, Hay is very good fuel for fire and I enjoy making burnable art structures.

I have ambition to create something inspired by the great tree troll (http://kimgrahamstudios.com/troll-gal.html) but would like to construct it to be burnable (see burningman.com for photo examples of why burnable art is such an interesting concept that encourages the immediate experience of both artist and individual). The tinfoil for face that is used in that sculpture gives a good mix of scultp-ability, space / volume for the regular paper mache to go on top of. Curious if some form of hay-based PM "slurry" could be made that when dried achieves the same effect.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

#2 2010-04-22 16:52:57

CatPerson

Re: Straw or Hay as primary paper mache material?

I think you would be inventing something new if it would work.

The only thing that comes to mind for me is running the straw through a shredder, forming flat mats of it with adhesive, and then applying the thin mats to an armature when dry, in layers.  You would probably have to form them on a material that would resist the adhesive.

Otherwise, my brain is empty.

Sue

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Straw or Hay as primary paper mache material?

Board footer