HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

New Guy's questions

#1 2010-03-01 18:54:15

henbayward

New Guy's questions

Hello!  I'm getting started with this wonder of modern science called papier mache and just had a few questions for the wise council of elders...

1) In Martin Favreau's tutorial for making pulp, after the paper is boild and draind, he says:

"Take out a large window screen (I use an old double glass door one). Set it up over two chairs in a place that has good air flow and scunch it up in your hands with the paste so it falls in pieces. Rolling your hands together works pretty well. Leave it overnight."

Does he mean scrunch the paper up with the wallpaper paste over the screen and this will cause it to fall in pieces?

2)I think I know the answer to this one, but I'll ask it anyway... In the same tutorial, can I go as far as the part with the grinder (makes it almost powdery, I believe) and then just keep it stored like that until I feel like mixing it with the wet stuff?  Also, can I use a blender or should I go with a grinder instead?

3)The result I am looking for is a pretty smooth surface.  I've read that that's shooting pretty high so early in the game, but I'm patient and don't mind making a few pieces to hone my skills, first.  Is the best method to get a smooth surface wood filler and gentle sanding?

Thanks!

Last edited by henbayward (2010-03-01 18:55:15)

#2 2010-03-02 03:12:37

CatPerson

Re: New Guy's questions

1.  Well, that wasn't very clear to me, either, so I had to go to another site to find another version of his instructions.  The window screening is just a strainer.  After the cooked pulp has cooled enough so you can handle it barehanded, form it into a cone and pour the water/pulp mix into it to drain out the water.  Then squeeze the mesh to press as much water out of it as you can. 

Another way is to have a piece of vinyl screening that is at least twice as long as it is wide, or two pieces the same size.  Dump your liquified pulp into a wire strainer and let it sit.  You can do this when it's hot if you're careful, then you can let it sit and drain and cool at the same time.  Lay a couple of thick bath towels on a board (outdoors is best), lay one piece of your screening on it (or half the double-length piece), spread your still-wet-but-drained pulp over the screen, spread it out, cover the pulp with the second screen (or with the other half of the long piece), then work it over with a rolling pin or decent-sized piece of pipe.  Gently free the pressed pulp from the screen, but let it sit there loose to dry.  If you use wire screening and don't loosen it, all those little bits of paper that you forced through the screen will dry and hold on for dear life.  We don't need to go into the details of how I know this...

You can let the pulp dry for future use (you don't want to have to do the shredding/boiling/draining every time), or pick out as much as you think you'll need and mix your paste in while the pulp is still damp, skipping the drying process.  Don't be tempted to leave it in a big lump, or it will mold faster than it will dry.

2.  As soon as it's thoroughly dry, you can store it for a long time as long as you haven't added any paste.

To use a coffee grinder, your pulp lumps should be pretty small, so make them small when you're setting your wet pulp up to dry -- it's easier than trying to cut it down.  And most of the coffee grinders I have known (I grind everything BUT coffee in them) will burn out with a good bit of use.

The main problem with blenders is that they are designed for liquids, not for chopping.  If you don't have quite a bit of water in the container with the paper, it will burn out pretty fast.  Don't use your good household one, esp if it isn't yours.

For chopping, a food processor is the closest thing to ideal, but you won't get the fineness that you will with the coffee mill.  It's all a tradeoff.  The perfect tool has not yet been invented.

I would suggest that if you're going to all that trouble to make the fiber really fine in the coffee mil, just use that special pulp for the final surface.  I wouldn't use it for the whole piece, unless your project is really small.

3.  Smooth surfaces start best with smooth application of your paper, whether it's strips or pulp.  Be as careful as you can to avoid lumps.  If this is your first time working with pulp, you'll get it nice and smooth while it's wet ... and then it will dry.  Then it isn't quite so smooth.  But if you let it be a bit lumpy, when it dries it will be even lumpier.  Then it's filler and sanding, usually alternating thin layers of filler and sanding after each is best.

Just start and do it. 

Sue
I still don't understand about the two chairs...

#3 2010-03-22 15:58:09

dopapier

Re: New Guy's questions

I have sent you direct my recipe and method for making a very find mash.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

Board footer