HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Comments option for member galleries

Comments option for member galleries

#1 2010-02-02 14:33:42

erikatakacs
Website

Comments option for member galleries

Hi Jackie,

Browsing through the many interesting member galleries I missed not being able to comment on favourites. Would it be possible to add a comments option for galleries/items?

#2 2010-02-02 15:34:48

Jackie
Website

Re: Comments option for member galleries

Hi Erica,

I agree it would be very nice if comments could be left on members galleries. It is one of the features in the pipeline that we hope to add in the future.

I will have a word with *Admin* and see if I can hurry it along a bit! wink

Jackie

#3 2010-02-02 19:27:18

erikatakacs
Website

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to it!

#4 2010-02-04 16:11:35

Patraw
Website

I second that motion!  The ability to make comments would be a great new feature to add to the galleries.

#5 2010-02-05 01:54:59

russ
Site Admin
Website

Hi,

This is something I actually have mostly implemented in a development version of the site. There are some issues involved, however, in how this is implemented due to potential problems with spam/malicious comments etc.

A simple solution is to only allow other gallery owners to post comments. This is great in that it mitigates the aforementioned problems (you're nice people!) but it is limiting in that it would be nice for all visitors to be able to post comments.

However, allowing anonymous users to post comments brings the spam/malicious comments issue. I have ideas for ways of mitigating this but it still needs some consideration.

It's also worth noting that some gallery owners may not wish for comments to be enabled on their items.

I think in the short term we'll just start with a trial and see how it goes.

If anyone has any comments/thoughts on this please feel free to chip in. Feedback is always welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for bringing this issue up.

Russ

#6 2010-02-05 12:38:47

dopapier

I welcome a trial.  Judging by the number of times some pieces have been viewed, if everyone commented it would be a vast amount.  Unwieldy?  Not everyone would, I am sure, but it could still be considerable.
If membership can be tightened up, it ought to be alright to allow comments.
Interesting.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#7 2010-02-13 15:38:01

Patraw
Website

My advice, as to how it should be implemented, it to allow each individual control over approving comments.  I use to have a Yahoo! Guestbook where I had to do that (I often got advertisements for pharmaceuticals and dating sites), and that format seemed to work well.  I don't know how feasible this would be, but I'd see it working like this:  Anytime an artist logged into their gallery, they'd get a notice that they have "x" number of comments pending, then said artist could then go through and winnow the wheat from the chaff, at their discretion.  With this methodology, each artist would be responsible for managing their own comments (and thus, couldn't complain about what is, or isn't, getting posted, content-wise).

#8 2010-02-13 15:41:28

dopapier

I think the only problem with Mark's suggestion is that there are many artists who have not accessed their own galleries for aeons and the occasional one who has departed this mortal coil, sometimes without us knowing.  Comments on theirs would/might go unnoticed.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#9 2010-02-21 04:41:35

erikatakacs
Website

Those are good ideas. I understand the concern about spam. How about a combination of enabling comments on profile page, and a moderate button for those who wish to filter comments. I think this feature would increase traffic to the site.

#10 2010-02-23 13:16:16

Alasdair
Website

It's certainly something that's missing from the site, the volume of comments is unlikely to be massive, but it's a feature that I particularly like on my other galleries elsewhere.

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Comments option for member galleries

Board footer