HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » TOO heavy? Do I need Supports for Pulp...

TOO heavy? Do I need Supports for Pulp...

#1 2003-09-17 02:43:35

kevart82

TOO heavy? Do I need Supports for Pulp...

A few questions.  First, I was wondering- I have a small soldering tool that I will use in creating the wire frame for my pulp paper mache sculpture. Should I use or make supports under the sculpture (worried that the pulp would get to heavy)?  The sculpture may be upto 2 feet wide by 3 feet tall.  Remember that the base will be sideways and attached to masonite hardboard.

Second, I've read some of the suggestions on laying on the initial layer of pulp paper mache.  Would it be best to begin layering with strips first on the wire, then add on with pulp in order to build up the sculpture?

Finally, what are good preservatives to keep this from turning moldy on me? 
Thanks anybody and everybody  smile  Kevin

#2 2003-09-17 15:07:30

Karen
Website

Re: TOO heavy? Do I need Supports for Pulp...

Kevin. Since this is an experiment the outcome may AND WILL surprise you. The best knowledge comes from hands-on learning experiences!! lol

But, in answer to your questions. Since this sculpture is so large I would first layer with plastic (cut from milk jugs). Adhese the pieces together with paper strips. In fact coat all of the plastic with at least two alternate paper strips.  Let dry thoroughly (put a fan on it). Then, when you begin pulping, you'll have something strong that the pulp can adhere to.

Build little by little so the pulp can dry thoroughly under a fan.

After sculpture is complete coat with urethane. (I use a minimum of two coats.)

Hope this helps!

karen
www.farroutart.com

#3 2003-09-21 03:06:43

rozani
Website

Re: TOO heavy? Do I need Supports for Pulp...

Hello.

How about this?  Try hollowing out your pulped sculpture once dry.  The outer shell will be sturdy but light.  I usually do this by starting with a crumpled dry form shaped by masking tape and/or string.  Use mache strips over it and then pulp to your hearts delight, crating a nice shell layer.  Once dry, turn it upside down and start pulling out the paper.  It dries much quicker also. Let it air out again until it is bone dry. I know it sounds crude, but it works.

We all find different ways to accomplish our mache goals.  It's usually a matter of trial and error.  Perhaps a small prototype will help you to experiment.  I am personally not very skilled with wood and screws, so I use simple methods to save time and money.  I used to waste so much adhesive until I found some things out by accident and they worked even better.  Masking tape is my friend.

Keep up posted and show us your finished work if you get a chance.

Rozani

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » TOO heavy? Do I need Supports for Pulp...

Board footer