HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Need Your Help Buying/Finding Wool Paper For Masks

Need Your Help Buying/Finding Wool Paper For Masks

#1 2010-01-08 01:11:22

dwinitt
Website

Need Your Help Buying/Finding Wool Paper For Masks

I have been buying Carta Lana Wool Paper from Squires Kitchen Online Shop in the UK to make paper mache masks with. The paper is fairly expensive, and then there was the shipping. For some reason that I cannot understand, the shipping costs have recently been raised so dramatically that I can no longer justify the expense. For paper costing 72 pounds (in a fairly smally box that doesn't weigh much), they now want 116 pounds to ship to the US. Something like this happened before; they said it was a computer glitch and fixed it. I have tried to deal with their customer relations again, but this time they say it is what it is. Does anyone know of another source? I have never been able to find one.

The great advantage to me is that making a mask with this paper requires only four layers. The paper is also very absorbant and flexible. Your help would be immensely appreciated. I would hate to have to just get on with my day job.

Regards to all, David

#2 2010-01-08 01:53:56

CatPerson

Re: Need Your Help Buying/Finding Wool Paper For Masks

I have not been able to find any in the U.S., either.

But I did have an idea...

I washed my cats' bedding, and it was all hairy.  To avoid plugging up the washer, I run them through the dryer first (with a dryer sheet) to unload most of the hair, then run them through the washer.

Well, as I peeled the cat hair from the lint catcher of the dryer, it looked kind of like felt makings.  Nice and smooth and flat.  I am thinking that somehow I could chop up some old wool clothing or blankets, and run them through the dryer and then turn them into felt/paper.

Do you think this would work?  Any ideas on methods?  Do it like making regular paper (cotton, for instance)?

I haven't had the time to try it yet.

Sue

#3 2010-01-08 12:02:09

dwinitt
Website

I just read a piece on making paper from paper scraps and wool fibers. It amounted to combining water, torn paper and wool fibers in a blender, pouring mixture into a form on a special tray, squeezing and rolling out excess water, and allowing to dry in some sort of closed drying rack. I'm not sure I have the time to launch into another side-craft; life may be a bit too short for that.

Georgia Tech is not far from my office, and I have passed by their building that I believe is either called Paper Science or Paper Technology. I may have to stop in there and try and get some hints or clues.

As always, thanks for offerring up your thoughts.

David

#4 2010-01-08 15:53:15

dopapier

My wife, Vivienne, has done some paper making.  We also get lint from the clothes dryer.  When she collects some more, I've asked her to try some experiments so she and Sue can compare notes!   She used to collect the stuff (to do 'somethng' with) but when it accumulated she threw it out for the birds.  They had some wonderfully lined nests.  Parents also took up knitting.  Young fledglings had some fantastic jumpers, fair-isle patterns.  The male sparrows would not accept pink though.
lol
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Need Your Help Buying/Finding Wool Paper For Masks

Board footer