HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

I need Help.

#1 2003-08-29 18:55:34

alan3303

I need Help.

I am a college student majoring in ME and I have a project in which I have to build a machine to launch an object.  The catch is I can only use

one Sunday newspaper
36 ft. of string
2 rubber bands(supplied)
1 sq. yard of fabric
adhesive.

I am probably going to use some sort of fiberglass for my fabric but I need to figure out how to build componets from a Newspaper/adhesive mixture and make them as STRONG as possible.  I have alot of ways to accomplisth the project but making it with the STRONGEST material possible is KEY.  If anyone has any insighy on what adhesive is stronger when mixed with newspaper( flour, wallpaper paste, elmers, fiberglass epoxy, ect.) I would love to here it.  Also is a pulp papier mache STRONGER than a layer papier mache.  Any thing anyone has to share on how to get the most strength out of the paper adhesive mixture I would love to here.  Remeber I am pretty flexible on the adhesive requirement and I don't care about the final texture I just need STRENGTH.  I am going to keep looking online but I would GREATLY appreciate any help or advice.
Thanks

curtis

#2 2003-09-01 17:40:11

acetileno

Re: I need Help.

You won't know for sure until you experiment with the stuff.  For my projects I mixed wallpaper glue and pulp and it gets pretty hard if you allow the time to dry.

To dry it faster I put them in the oven at a very low temperature and it didn't even smoke and dried up strong.  Try it and you will see.

The Word ART is music to my ears!!

#3 2003-09-03 14:23:19

Karen
Website

Alan, I concur that pulping (using wallpaper paste) equates with greater strength. When thoroughly dry, the difference is noticeable. You may have to experiment with proportion of paste to paper. When you pulp the newsprint make sure to squeeze as much excess water as possible from your pulp. Add about 1/8 paste to the pulp at first. The pulp should adhese (not crumble). Good luck and let us all know how it works for you!

karen
www.farroutart.com

#4 2003-09-05 05:43:48

keeying
Website

maybe u can try using a frame made out of bars...
sorta like trusses.
one of my first year engineering project was building a bridge outta newspaper.
we brushed starch glue on the paper and then rolled the newspaper (with pencils and pens in da centre which would later be taken out) as tight as we could.
if done properly the results is quite strong to be used for axial stress.
it's not suitable for bending though.

.._V_ .........^^ ..... -oink!
/ : |_   ..@"C ) ... http://tvnut.port5.com
.'------ ' ... (x 3 )~

#5 2003-09-06 19:55:10

Are you just talking about wallpaper paste you can get from a lowes or some sort of flour mixture??????

thanks again for all of your help

alan3303

#6 2003-09-16 15:22:12

Karen
Website

Yes, Alan, the wallpaper paste you can get from Lowe's or a wallpaper store.

karen
www.farroutout.com

#7 2005-01-06 20:54:57

ozmommi

Without making a trip to Lowe's, can we use anything else from home to mix in the pulp?  This will be my first try on making the pulp.  I have purchased the pre-made dry stuff and it is great.  I want to start a project.
What else besides wallpaper glue can I mix in it?

#8 2005-01-07 03:17:32

Rachel

just use flour and water mixed in to a thick pancake consistency. . it works great as a binder. I agree, putting it in the oven at a low temp is a good way to get it to dry fast.
Personally, I think that using layers makes a stronger finished piece. You have to look at it like when it is in layers, it is actually like a woven piece of cloth compared to pulp, which is like a piece of felt that has no weave.
I think many people see the pulp as stronger because it's easier to get a good thickness with the pulp. with layers, you really have to have the patience to put a lot of layers together. then again, maybe I'm just wrong!

#9 2005-01-07 16:50:42

ozmommi

Thanks Rachel,
I have done a few things with the pulp that is store bought.  I have a huge pot of boiled, shredded newspaper and am going to make a giraffe.  I will just add the flour and water mixture as I do to the layering mache>

Thanks,
Ozmommi

Board footer