HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Never Volunteer!

#1 2009-06-25 04:38:29

RuthM

Never Volunteer!

I offered to help out my son's drama group with prop creation - anticipating a quick little project. As a result I am now constructing a weeping willow tree large enough to house a small child dressed as a dormouse. It is filling my kitchen and I may have to take the roof off to get it out - remember that song by Bernard Cribbins, Right Said Fred?
Anyway, I digress. Its going far better than I anticipated except that I used bird wire as a base and am having real trouble keeping the pm attached. I draped it with sheets of taped newspaper as a start which worked up to a point. However I could almost remove the wire now as it has acted more like a mould than a base. I don't want to do this as I want the inner strength. Any suggestions?

#2 2009-06-25 15:00:04

CatPerson

Re: Never Volunteer!

What kind of adhesive are you using?

Can you still get to the inside of the wire mesh?

Are you close to your finish layers yet?

Sue

#3 2009-06-26 04:42:28

RuthM

Flour and water paste with a hefty amount of wood glue.

The tree is hollow and has a gap at the back as well as a doorway at the front - the doormouse has to be able to enter through the back and appear in the doorway. So I have access to the inside, although it currently houses a stepladder to keep it upright until it is self supporting.

The weather here is causing me severe problems. Its very damp and the layers are taking days to dry so I am a long way off final layers. Its not required until the end of August so I figure I have time for major structural changes if necessary.

#4 2009-06-27 04:21:33

CatPerson

What about using a hot-glue gun to attach the PM to the wire mesh on the inside?  It wouldn't have to be smeared all over, just a series of daubs, let it harden, more daubs, let it harden, etc.

Otherwise, maybe you could use a drill and drill through the PM (or just puncture it with a nail or ice pick) and use wire to tie through the PM and the wire mesh.  Do the ties vertically so they would blend more easily with the tree trunk surface, if necessary.

If you can, maybe place the tree in the sun with either a breeze blowing over it, or a fan blowing on it.  But humidity can certainly be a problem.

Sue

#5 2009-06-27 09:38:34

RuthM

I like the sound of wire - that sounds very practical. I was thinking maybe cable ties as they are a bit wider and hopefully won't tear the pm.

I did manhandle the monstrosity outside on a sunny day earlier this week and it dried beautifully. Given that I live on Queensland's Sunshine Coast you wouldn't have thought there'd be a weather problem! With luck the rain will clear and all will be well with subsequent layers.

Thank you so much Sue for putting thought into my dilemma. I really appreciate the effort.

Onward and upward!

#6 2009-06-29 04:00:18

CatPerson

Cable ties would probably be quicker, and work just as well.

Good luck with the work and the weather!

Sue

#7 2009-07-03 09:01:51

RuthM

Cable ties are doing the trick beautifully! The sun has been shining and I added a branch and knot hole yesterday. Was really pleased with myself till my son announced that it looks like a giant teapot. Not an ounce of artistry in him, the pleb!

Thanks again Sue.

Ruth

#8 2009-07-04 06:42:15

CatPerson

A teapot???

No artistry, and maybe poor eyesight?

I'm glad it's working out for you.  If you have the opportunity, please post a photo in the gallery, so we can see your results.

Sue

Board footer