HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Does anybody use toilet paper like I do?

Does anybody use toilet paper like I do?

#1 2003-07-19 20:07:19

keeying
Website

Does anybody use toilet paper like I do?

Hi! I'm a new member here and I was just wondering if anybody here uses toilet paper for their papier-mache...

I think toilet paper works well and it's very versatile to shape and unmessy, but then I noticed that most don't do it the way I do coz I don't make pulp then mold it.

Also, I have no idea what type of glue to use (and where to get it in Malaysia) and so I stick to the starch glue and I use it mostly only for joining parts...
anyway, if u like to see my work... visit

http://tvnut.satanduck.com
or
http://tvnut.port5.com

I'd love comments!

I'm interested in trying out making the "pulp" method but I don't know if it'll work in smaller models like the ones that I like to make...

.._V_ .........^^ ..... -oink!
/ : |_   ..@"C ) ... http://tvnut.port5.com
.'------ ' ... (x 3 )~

#2 2003-07-19 22:53:22

Jackie
Website

Re: Does anybody use toilet paper like I do?

Hi Keeying,

Welcome to the Forum. Your models are great!

I use toilet tissue as well as ordinary tissue occasionally for certain small areas. I pulp it and use white (pva) glue. It gives an almost porcelain effect.

Why not have a go at pulping it? It's quite surprising stuff - a little goes a long way!  big_smile

Jackie

#3 2003-07-21 15:33:09

keeying
Website

i know about pva glue...
i've seen it been used on Art Attack many times and Neil like using "loo roll" for his papier-mache too.

But this type of glue i believe is quite rare in these parts and i remember some friends bought it for an engineering project once...
If I remembered correctly it was quite pricey?

But i'll really like the porcelein effect, nice and shiny...

.'------ ' ... (x 3 )~

#4 2003-08-23 18:22:12

newsharon

I've heard the carpenter's glue works well, as well as ordinary children's Lepages type glue.  Lotsa luck with it!!!  Flour and water paste with a bit of bleach (to help stop mould and bugs) is good - a little van is good - the faster it dries, the less chance of mold. (2 days per layer is good - pulp takes longer, but only needs one drying.

Sharon

#5 2003-08-27 04:44:56

i must admit i have no idea what those materials you mentioned are and where to get them...
:cry:

#6 2003-08-27 08:32:36

Jackie
Website

Hi,

Look under "Information" then "glossary" for an explanation of terms used.

Jackie

#7 2003-08-29 04:57:20

rozani
Website

Hi Keeying!  big_smile

You are extremely talented, especially to work on such a small scale with figurines.  I am quite fond of liquid starch but have not used toilet tissue because it would certainly pulp in an instant.  You have a very smooth effect over all of your pieces.  If you don't make the pulp, how do you keep the toilet tissue from dissolving?  Is your starch glue thick?

I work with craft tissue and will use pulp on occasion.  My liquid starch is thin.  Sometimes, the tissue just pulps naturally in the liquid and I can only use it for dimensional FX.

Glad you've joined us.

Regards,

Rozani

#8 2003-09-05 05:38:46

keeying
Website

actually i just add water to the tissue and sorta squeeze the water out...
i would form a basic shape first then add the details later by sticking them on
i hardly use the starch glue (which here in malaysia, can be bought in a tube somewhat like toothpaste, very convenient, and it's more solid than it is liquid!)

i use it usually just to attach the parts to the basic shape...
i mean i don't use it as a mixture during the forming of shapes...
am i making any sense?

about the smooth surface, it's actually just the toilet paper and water...
maybe it seems smooth because of the low picture quality?
(i'll update it soon with new photos with my bro's new camera)

i might try some pulping during my coming break but it sound mighty messy!

.'------ ' ... (x 3 )~

#9 2003-09-06 15:55:35

rozani
Website

Hi Keeying.

Oh yes, the paper sticking together when squeezed makes sense.  In fact, that's how I got started with paper mache.  It was actually a rainy day and I was stranded in an outdoor restaurant on the beach.  The tables were wet and water seeped into my paper magazine.  The newsprinted pages were colorful and had different patterns.

I hated to toss it, so I began making shapes while waiting for my seafood to be served.  The rain continued, so we had a pitcher of beer while waiting.  I began to get carried away.  I pressed and twisted the shapes together into a lady figurine and they somehow stayed in place.  I took her with me when the rain stopped.  Amazingly it stayed together for years.  I thought, if it can stay together without glue, imagine what it could do if it was starched.

My husband thought I had lost it and never quite understood why I held on to it.  Years later, the technique is now part of my profession.  He finally understands that it's more than just paper, it's my passion.

Thanks for keeping us posted.  Now it is clearer to me.

Regards, Rozani

#10 2003-11-06 18:11:41

keeying
Website

heh, funny you should mention... actually i started playing around with toilet paper for papier-mache when i was playing around in the loo when i was a kid.
not as romantic as how you started (with the rain, seafood and stuff) but that was how it all started for me...
i knew of the newspaper strip type of papier-mache back then but was amazed at how easily toilet paper is to shape, and u can work on really small models which isn't very possible with newspaper strips.

.'------ ' ... (x 3 )~

#11 2003-11-19 12:48:03

the925girl

Hi everybody, I'm an environmentalist and I used recycled toilet paper for my art work, I encourage everybody to do the same. LOL sorry I couldn't help it to say that! hi everybody I'm new at this forum, I'm from Mexico but I live in Florida and currently working o my paper mache collection big_smile

#12 2003-11-19 13:57:13

Jackie
Website

Welcome!

You are on the same wavelength as me....I'm all for recycling!  big_smile

Jackie

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Does anybody use toilet paper like I do?

Board footer