HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

hello and advice on ready made pulp

#1 2008-11-14 20:03:08

hazelnut

hello and advice on ready made pulp

hello! i am just beginning to learn about papier mache art and would like any and all advice on the best ready made pulp to purchase. for now i think i'll just try a ready made pulp and then if i think this is a new addiction, i will try my hand at all of your great recipes!

i've heard of sculptamold, but the end result seems super duper rough. i would like something smooth. any suggestions?

also, i've read about an artist who sculpts their objects first in clay, and then casts a plaster mold. after that, she smooshes the paper pulp into the mold.

any advice on how to get started with this technique?

#2 2008-11-15 02:06:18

CatPerson

Re: hello and advice on ready made pulp

I've tried several of the 'instant' papier mache products, and I was not impressed.  As far as I know, most of these products are just ground paper and plaster.

Paper fibers tend to cling to each other, which is what makes it kind of lumpy. Any type of plaster material can make it rough, and it probably gets rougher the longer you work it, as the plaster is trying to set up.

You might just bite the bullet and buy a package of each of the instant types that you can find locally, and try them out.

'Real' papier mache is just paper, water and adhesive. I know there are a lot of recipes that include chalk, sawdust, and lots of other materials, but be aware that when you're adding something extra, there should be a reason for it.  Try to avoid the temptation to add things just to add them. It's probably best to just start out simply and find out what works for you and what doesn't.

David likes pulp.  I prefer strips.  It doesn't matter what anyone else does, stick with what seems right to you.  Practice will teach you more than anything else.

I would suggest you roam through the past topics here, you'll learn a lot.

Jackie, the owner of this site, has an online book you can download (see right margin) that is quite infomative.  And check out the articles and tutorials at the top of the page.

What country are you in?  Sometimes someone in your country can suggest specific materials and brands that may help you.

Could you give us an idea of what direction you are going with your PM projects?  Large?  Small?  Tiny? 

Sue

#3 2008-11-15 03:18:41

hazelnut

hi! thanks for your reply! wow!

smile

i am thinking of small projects, 8" high or smaller, i guess?

how's about the 'egg carton' recipe. i've read somewhere that you can just soak the carton in water and the next morning it will be ready; no need to add anything because there is already glue in it...maybe i should start with a simple me-made pulp instead?

thanks and i will surely follow your advice and have a closer look around! smile

#4 2008-11-15 19:46:16

CatPerson

Papier mache is so cheap, it allows you to try many ways of doing it.  Unintentional horrors are easy to get rid of. (I have a burn barrel! ;-)

Sure, use the egg cartons.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that they have wax mixed in with the paper, rather than adhesive.  If so, you might want to soak them in hot tap water to get started.  Once they're soaked and torn up, drain them in a wire sieve to get rid of the excess water.  Keep the material just wet enough to manipulate.

Don't try to hurry the drying with heat, as it tends to warp. If you have a small fan you can aim at it, that will speed up the drying time.

Just play around with it, and learn.

Sure, you'll make mistakes.  So what?  Dive in!

I have some info on making and using plaster casts, but I'll have to find it.

Sue (too much information, too little organization)

#5 2008-11-16 03:43:34

hazelnut

thank you! this is such a great board! smile yay!

#6 2008-11-29 01:11:10

Folk Art By Connie
Website

I find a 24 lb. box of celluclay is around 100.00 with shipping..it goes a long way.Makes many times over the cost... and is very nice if you don't have time to make your own and can afford it. It has a diferent look to it when dried..a smoother look, that people mistake as carved...I prefer the home made paper pulp but have often used the celluclay when i have a show that i need to rush for.
I order mine through "Dick Blick.com"...

If you found me a stranger, may you soon be my friend...

#7 2008-12-12 16:08:24

dopapier

I haven't had much success with egg boxes.  Perhaps I'm too pernickety, but it seems awfully lumpy to me.
A simple way might be to make up a main shape with foil shaped around a shampoo bottle (or similar).   You can hammer, press, cut the foil until you have quite a good undershape.  Then mash toilet paper thoroughly with paste until it is like a clay and model it on.  You'll be surprised how strong it is when dry.
A little more moulding before it finally sets can help.
You may want a bit of weight in the core bottle - sand is best.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#8 2008-12-21 20:46:16

Folk Art By Connie
Website

dopapier
is that what celluclay is made of? egg boxes ? I've often wondered what it's made of, because it comes dry...seems different from the home made paper pulp.

#9 2008-12-22 00:27:04

CatPerson

Celluclay is made from recycled clay-coated paper (like magazine paper, I think), gypsum (plaster of paris), starch, perlite, and sodium benzoate.

You just add water and mix.

Sue

#10 2008-12-22 16:34:02

Folk Art By Connie
Website

Cat
wish i could make it..i know LOTS of people who use it...and it's expencive...If i could make it i'd do it. Thanks for the info...have always wondered what it's made of..doesn't say on the box...

Board footer