HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Can I use fabric as a base?

#1 2008-09-30 19:21:10

Psycho_Acolyte
Website

Can I use fabric as a base?

Man, it's been ages since I've been on here yikes  I missed all the creative ideas from this place  ^^;;

Anyway!  Could I use rolled up fabric scraps as a base?  I want to make some paper pulp sculptures, but I don't want to spend too much on base materials. I have some coat hanger wire around which I don't think would be too good for something small.

I thought of using all the fabric scraps I get from making costumes, just rolling them up and hot glueing the edge down (hot glueing it to other pieces and the base too)  buuuttt... I wonder if the fabric will be strong enough to support the pulp until it dries.   I'm definetly going to experiment a little with this, just wanted some professional opinions ^^

-PA

"You are weak like the salted slug and your mind is slow like a sloth on sake."
"HUH?!"

#2 2008-09-30 20:57:02

CatPerson

Re: Can I use fabric as a base?

It probably depends on how tight you can make the fabric rolls, and how much flex your project can take.  What kind of adhesive do you usually use?  One possible problem with a fabric base is it's ability to absorb moisture.

Let us know if it works.

Sue

#3 2008-10-01 19:19:42

newmodeller
Website

I have used fabric soaked in pva as a base, it is wonderfully flexible and adds bulk, although it can be weighty if you choose the wrong type of fabric.  I have found that old cotton shirts and old cotton t-shirts work well.  It all depends on what you are trying to do, it does have the advantage of forming a waterproof layer between wire and pm if you use pva

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#4 2008-11-29 01:06:12

Folk Art By Connie
Website

when i first met the woman who taught me to make large items  with paper mache, I only met with her a few times. i noticed that the large Santas that she made with old tomato cages and chicken wire had cloth tightly on the bottom..i didn't ever find out if she covered the cloth in strips then used the pulp, or if she just put the pulp over the cloth...I know she used celluclay and did not make her pulp from scratch like i do...I also know she used clean old clothing inside  to give her sculpture weight...

If you found me a stranger, may you soon be my friend...

#5 2008-12-12 16:11:13

dopapier

Don't ignore the possibility of tubes.  Several (even cut lengths of drinking straws) joined together are remarkably strong and rigid and can be bound round with your fabric.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

Board footer