HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Help!

#1 2008-07-30 19:43:11

hawk

Help!

Hi everyone

I am wanting to make a venetian mask but dont know what to use to make it, i know they are made using papier mache but im not sure what is the best resources to use!

Can anybody help?

#2 2008-07-30 22:38:57

CatPerson

Re: Help!

The easiest way to begin would probably be to find a fairly rigid plain plastic mask. I have seen some in craft shops here in the U.S. Tape the mask down to a board or tabletop, and then lay a sheet of plastic wrap/cling film loosely over it (the cling film will be peeled away when the mask is dry).

Start building up your mask with strips/squares/triangles of paper with glue applied to them. Try to build up a couple of even layers, smoothing them down as carefully as you can.  If you are getting wrinkles, the pieces of paper are probably too large. Let the first two layers dry well, then add more, and let them dry well until the mask is no longer cool to the touch.

You should be working from a photo or a drawing, so you will know where to build up certain areas, or where to have the paper flare out in other areas. You can also use cardboard or styrofoam to build up certain shapes, and papier mache over them to secure them.

You must let the entire mask dry very thoroughly. Sand down any rough spots.  Coat the entire mask with a coat of latex paint/emulsion (wall paint is perfectly good to use).  Then you can paint the mask, using acrylic paints, and seal it with a couple of coats of varnish. If you intend for the mask to be worn, coat the inside also with a couple of coats of varnish, to protect from skin moisture and oils.

You can add additional decorations using feathers, leather, fake jewels, dried leaves or flowers, or whatever you want.

Sue

#3 2008-08-13 18:35:46

newmodeller
Website

have a look at the website of the PM artist known as Patience.  she makes the most amazing masks 
http://www.maskmakersweb.org/coppermine … ?album=618

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#4 2008-08-20 01:34:38

rozani
Website

Hello Hawk.

Here's a quick response but please feel free to drop me an e-mail.  I offer mask forms but please consider the tips below:

1.  HEADS - Use a styrofoam or glass head for a mold.  Cover with plastic wrap.  Tape paper to it (masking tape) and cover with paper mache strips.

2.  GOGGLES - Use this as a guide for eye and nose placement.  A pair of sun glasses would also work.  Asimple paper plate can be used to trace the form.

3.  PAPER - Use newspaper first then brown craft paper over that.  Or choose computer paper of a solid color.

4.  COLOR - If you want color without painting, try this.  My favorite thing to do is not to use paint, but rather use bleed resistant paper for color.

5.  STAIN - Option that adds antique look.  Works nicely over one solid color of paper.

Decide what purpose the mask will be used for and keep it light weight.  Draw an outline of the mask and cut it out.  Place it on the form and begin.  Once you get the hang of it, then you could try other styles.  There is not just one kind of venetian mask.  Research the type that you want and try to keep it simple.  Half masks or 3/4 masks are nice.

Sta Flo Liquid Starch is easy to work with as an adhesive medium.  It is used full strength right out of the bottle.  Do not dilute. 

Hope this helps.

Rozani

Board footer