HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Uncompleted Work

#1 2008-04-28 02:05:02

burrumgirl

Uncompleted Work

Hi there, In another thread I posted we have touched on the problem (my problem) of not completing works that are started, so I thought I would see if anyone else has this problem and how do you deal with it if you do?
I don't plan my whole work through from start to finish as most people probably do, but in another thread I was told that you need to be flexible with your work so maybe this isn't so bad.  Mostly I start with the head and maybe parts of a body, then another "fantastic", can't wait idea comes to mind and off I go onto that.
I haven't had this problem before, and now that I think of it, it is probably because I have to allow the work to dry before I can continue, and by the time I can get back to it the interest has been taken by other heads and half bodies. I recognise this  (now I see it in writing), as a stupid almost childish problem  but ....
You won't believe this but I am doing a course on the net involving controling your thoughts and therefore your life, (just started) maybe I should put it to use here and control my impulses, or maybe I should get into bowls instead of creatures with heads. (There are some beautiful vases and bowls in the gallery.)
Of course I could see it as a learning thing and hope eventually that I get on with something and finish it, like an egg cup, spoon man (without a head of course just a face) or SOMETHING, anything.
Anyway if anyone has some input, I would be happy to hear it.
Lesley

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#2 2008-04-28 04:02:54

CatPerson

Re: Uncompleted Work

I think a lot of people do this, except maybe the obsessive ones.

Of course, I have ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder), which may account for my opinion. But I sometimes 'leap frog' from one idea to the next. Get started on one, then have a great idea for the next, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Although sometimes it may be because I didn't think it out well enough and hit a wall.

Or, I just lose interest.

Or all of the above.

Sue

#3 2008-04-28 05:46:39

Shali

Lesly

I make the same you do. I have many ideas and sometimes I think I'm not very well but after thinking about I conclud that this is because I have a big creativity and this is not a problem!
In my opinion this happens with artist that let their "heart to do the work".
Some times I'm modelling a piece and a little detail, that I did'nt plann, makes me change the way to do it and I can tell you that these are the best pieces I do because I don't plann them. Do you know what I mean?
I think the impulsivity to art is a good thing. Let it comes. I think I need to do what I feel and not anything that is "normal". Maybe if you make a bowl you will have ideas to make others. It doesn't matter what you are doing.

Sue: what you mean with "leap frog"?????? Is it to "jump" from one to another idea???
I don't use to thinking what I'm going to do (pieces of course) because if I do it I do nothing!!!
Ana

Today is a beautiful and blessed day!!!

#4 2008-04-28 08:53:08

burrumgirl

How I love you people, you make me feel NORMAL in a nutty way.  Sue if you have ADD, then so do I as we are from the same mould I think.
And Shali you are also in this mould.  I think it has it's merits though, but boy it is unproductive, a waste of good time and materials and tends to mess your place up with bits of this and that. May I say typically the mad artist syndrome. I would like someone "straight" to show us the way to change,
PS, My thought control course is working in my life ( I have just been offered a lucrative job that I have failed 2 times before to get,) but this will only hinder this problem here.  Haven't got it yet so maybe I will get more heads done at least.
Lesley

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#5 2008-05-27 06:25:51

butterbee

I have so much unfinished work lying around.  I just get bored too easily and excited by new ideas leaving me always wanting to start another piece and never completing the last one.

#6 2008-05-27 10:38:53

dopapier

OK, I admit . . I am a kindred spirit.  I love the surprise of a first idea, of working out the technical details for implementation, the development of the piece . . . and then . . . another idea pops into my mind and I follow that.  It's the leapfrogging again, Sue.
I am trying to be better at finishing work and the recent day with Nives has helped in this.  I am always afraid of the painting because I feel I am going to destroy the original concept.  Normally, though, it works out quite well.  If it doesn't it will become a remake or go into the bin.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#7 2008-05-27 19:39:08

CatPerson

David, I did learn something that frees me somewhat from the Fear of Painting. Actually, it's the fear of making a gross mistake.

Here in the U.S. we have a paint product called Kilz. It is a paint primer that comes in four varieties (for various situations). I made a PM cat once, and after carefully painting it, I stumbled and slopped part of the contents of half a can (1 qt/litre) of paint right over it. I couldn't have made a bigger mess if I had planned it.

I wiped off the extra paint (plus part of the careful paint job), absolutely furious with myself. A week or so later, I was in the garage and saw a partial can of Kilz. I painted it all over the cat and made a totally white cat, then repainted it.

Yes, I did have to do the entire thing, as the cat was painted with mixed colors, and I have never been able to replicate a mixed color in my entire life.

When I am rich, I will buy a 5-gallon bucket and just DIP my mistakes in it!

If you don't have Kilz, get the very best paint primer you can, and try it on your mistakes. The cheap ones are too thin and are a waste of money.

[If we have an American/English/Other language problem with 'primer', it is a paint-like substance that is used under paint. It seals all kinds of ugly things so you can paint anything over it, even pastels. I've used it on chipped/peeling paint, water stains, oil stains, ugly painted patterns, and over a very dark green wall paint. Make sure the kind you get will seal over oil, if that is an issue.]

Sue

#8 2008-06-01 02:22:34

burrumgirl

Thanks to you all.  I have been away for the last 3 weeks and am trying to catch up on things again.
I am beginning to think that half finished work is the nature of the art of PM, but Sue's primer idea to fix botched up paint jobs sounds great, might take some of the fear away.
I would like to know if anyone fully plans their artpiece right to the end, possibly  starting with drawings of the piece, armature drawings, painting plans and finally varnishing plans. A small marquette could be made to iron out any construction/painting problems, yea sounds good, might actually lead to finished works, but I think, with me anyway the marquette would end up being as far as I would go, I couldn't see myself making the same piece twice. (as I can't seem to finish it once)  A serious artist would probably do it this way though.  Maybe I should get serious.
Anyway thanks again.
Lesley.

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#9 2008-06-01 23:48:24

CatPerson

" I couldn't see myself making the same piece twice. (as I can't seem to finish it once)  A serious artist would probably do it this way though.  Maybe I should get serious."

One problem with that method that I could see immediately is getting locked into the mindset that hinders being able to change when something NEEDS changing.  I don't think being that rigid in your planning would be helpful.

Not that there aren't people who do it that way, though. But for me, I should wear a tattoo on my forehead: "Decisions liable to change without notice".

I suspect that there as many methods and approaches to the work as there are artists.

Sue

Board footer